• This topic has 29 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by flip.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Restoration of an old Roadie frame , what to do next …….
  • simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

I stripped my old Carlton road frame today, i had been using it to commute 1 miles to uni (in Sheffield down a big hill and usally back up agian) for the last year or so after buying it for £20 fully built.(from recycle bikes)

Basically it was built badly and half the stuff was nakard, by the time i stripped all the stuff off it i decided that if i was going to re-build it i should do something about the rust.

6 hours later , 1 jar of paint stripper and alot of work with a wire brush i have :

Found it was a reynolds 531 butted frame , which was nice.

I cant decide what to do with it next :

My current thoughts are , Powder Coat and single speed .

Im not sure if you can get things enameled anymore but that would be even better.

What would you do where would you take it to get it done (in Guildford , east Yorkshire or Lincoln)

Also if anyone has a suitable fork they might like to sell me …..(current one is chromed piece of shine junk.)

soma_rich
    Free Member

Is that an MG midget in the background?

ourmaninthenorth

If you want to get it enamelled, then the usual suspects are Argos (Bristol) or Bob Jackson (Yorks – Leeds?). It would be a shame to powdercoat it, in my view.

If you're going to Bob Jackson's, then you can ask them about forks. Something with a nice curve and rake would be super.

If it was me, I'd paint it a nice colour, run it fixed, fit mudguards and brakes and gurn up and down hills.

Good bit of paint-stripping, that. 🙂

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Yes Mg midget in the background currently not going anywhere due to a clutch hydrolic system that i cant get bleed.

Enameling would be really nice not sure about the cost tho.

Fixie would be sweet but my knees are weak to start with so not too sure.

Its also going to be used daily for commuting in and out of Guildford so making it too nice may result in it been stolen.

bassspine
    Free Member

The frame looks lovely. Yacht varnish it and keep it naked 😉

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

I like that idea , would need more polishing first.

jova54
    Free Member

Nice looking frame simon.

I'm in a similar situation. I've got an old Peugeot road frame that my brother gave to me.

It's a hand-brazed steel frame probably 531 as well.

I'm taking it to a resprayers in Aldershot tomorrow to get them to strip and repaint it.

Looking to restore it in a different colour to a 12 speed road bike using as many original parts as possible.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ay-up simon, if you find some spare forks i'll take the crap ones off your hands. Other than that I've got a shed full of 12speed racer spares if you'r missing any nuts and bolts.

clwydrider
    Free Member

If you still travel to Sheffield on a regular basis try Edison Cycles in Clowne, proper frame builders and does some nice enameling, did my tourer about 5 years ago, think it was about 40quid or so (one colour). Ring before you go though, he's not always at the shop.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Il be ebaying for the forks , the plan after seeing the price of enameling is to polish it up paint the lungs black and varnish.

Has anyone got any tips on the varnish/ lacquer .

Yeah sam you can have the forks , il take 'em down to Guildford once im in youl have to come down theres some sweet trails literally on the door step.

taka
    Free Member

hi,

does anyone know how much bob jackson 513 frames are worth?

got hold of 2 half built bikes the other day from a reletive

taka
    Free Member

oh and if there not worth much ill have a pair of 513 forks forsale 😉

rob1984p
    Free Member

taka they're probably worth at least £100 each if you put "fixie retro" in the ebay listing, what size are they out of interest as id love a smaller frame for my fixed so i can have a stem longer than 50mm

rob1984p
    Free Member

simon, the frame looks wicked by the way speak to your local powdercoaters and ask if they can do a clear powder lacquer

taka
    Free Member

rob one is a foff big one about 62cm and the other is 46cm seattube and a 50cm toptube

rob1984p
    Free Member

id love a picture of the smaller one although its probably too small

taka
    Free Member

ill post pictures of both on here in a sec the smaller one is the frame and the large is the semi built one

tom

taka
    Free Member

the biggerone has a 59cm seattube after re measuring

tom

taka
    Free Member

both frames here,

both for sale make me an offer?

small frame (46cm seattube 50cm toptube).

the larger frame (59cm seattube)

tom

taka
    Free Member
    oldgit
    Free Member

I'd go for a rebuild with period'ish kit, though fixie would be cheaper. I got this old Gios last month (was my old racer in the late 80's)so it's come full circle after twenty years. You'll find loads of useable old stuff on Ebay.

The whole things come up glistening and gleaming apart from the rust near the head tube, for that I'm just going to paint over the rust to halt it, at least it'lllook honest. Bar tapes going on Friday, and I'm riding our local century ride on it this Sunday.
    Sorry to hijack your post. Oh and the old boys will stop you at cafes to reminice if you restore it.

PePPeR

Reference your Midget clutch bleeding problem, I usually use a Gunsons Power bleed to push the fluid through, as they can be a bugger to get the fluid to come through any other way.

oldgit
    Free Member

That pics was as I found it i.e pretty tatty.
    I remember those 531/Competition frames mine was a Birds Of Colindale,they were a budget but quality training frame.

nedrapier

Have a look at Dave Yates' site. He does enamel coats and I think he's in Lincolnshire.

Seems he does a fair bit of restoration and you might find yourself getting a couple of other bits done once you've looked at the optio.ne

AdamM
    Free Member

If it's going to be a daily commuter, just get it powder coated and keep it anonymous to reduce the likelihood of it going waklabout. Fit mudguards, maybe 1×9 for simplicity.

You can always strip it again and paint it up nicely at a later date if you want to when it's not being used for commuting (Nitromors takes care of powder pretty easily).

thepodge
    Free Member

http://www.expresscoatings.co.uk in sheffield for powder coating. cost you about £30

I'm looking for a fixe project, my mate and i want to start a bike polo team in sheff

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

i was finishing it off polishing and getting everything shiny then thought hmm if i make it a fixie or single speed (or both using a flipflop) i need to remove the braze on bits.

Can this be done using a oxy-acetylene brazing /welding kit or does it need to be done in a certain way …heating in a certain way to stop wrapping.

oldgit
    Free Member

I did that to an old steel Kona. I just used a grinder, then a file, then some wet and dry.
    Once done there's no going back, I later regreted it and wish I'd built a retro MTB.

edhornby

+1 for powdercoat, if you are going to commute on it daily it will get some hammer no matter how careful you are with it

I had my fixeed gear resprayed recently with 2pac enamel and it's bobbins, too soft…..

flip
    Free Member

How much you want for the small one?

Give us a clue 😉

I say £50

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Restoration of an old Roadie frame , what to do next …….’ is closed to new replies.