Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • resting heart rates
  • PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

What’s your resting heart rate?
    Mine is currently 48 bpm which seems low. It would be interesting to see what other cyclists have and if i’m not alone.

tragically1969
    Free Member

This is just going to turn into a willy waving competition, of course its low, probably for a reason.

General rule of thumb (and it very general) is the fitter you are the lower it is, but it also depends where your max is and where your anaerobic threshold is in comparison to that

trail_rat
    Free Member

what it is is unimportant …. the trend is more important.

since i stopped racing competitively mines now 48 – i consider that high but realise ive lost alot of my fitness.

it used to be mid to high 30s.

But yes you are low compared to the average – but bearing in mind average joe doesnt exercise much…..

orangeboy
    Free Member

Mines about 70 even with doing 150 miles a week and being far from slow
    But as long as I keep it below 205 I can still
    Keep pushing

lucien

38, and I’m not riding as much as in the summer / previous years – sitting (literally) waiting for it to rise….

beej

42-45, depending on fitness.

GregMay
    Free Member

As others have said, resting HR means nowt if you’re trained. If you’re obese and inactive…then it is an issue. Below 60 BPM out heart is paced differently, hence the occasional skip or twinned beat may happen as the SI node cuts in to ‘bump’ up the HR. Kinda funky.

FWIW, 42 BPM at the moment, can go as low as 34 during heavy training. Peak HR 179, aged 31. Lower threshold 156, higher 169. Way to much time in the lab….

robsoctane
    Free Member

Last time I measured (1 year ago) it was 47. Was amazed and happy at the same time

Drac

hence the occasional skip or twinned beat may happen as the SI node cuts in to ‘bump’ up the HR. Kinda funky.

The SA node is the one who will tick it over at the person’s normal rate, it’s the AV node who will sit there and think hold on this guy isn’t pumping and fire an extra beat. Sometimes it even goes further down the conductive system too.

It’s a rough guide to fitness but there is a link, mine is always around 60 but can go to mid 50s but I’ve not been at my peak fitness for years. It still sometimes gets around the 50 mark.

GregMay
    Free Member

Ooops, correct. Long time since first year physiology, correct on the SA node and AV node. And this is why I work with accelerometers all day instead.

sambob
    Free Member

currently 50, but I’ve not been for a proper ride since August so it’s a but higher than it could be. Age 17, had it as low as about 42 when I’ve been playing hockey regularly.

legend
    Free Member

3 – I’m currently on the Armstrong diet which seems to have quite an effect 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Sat here it’s 76. Finished a very hard hilly club session 1/2 hour ago.
    Resting is about mid to late 60’s

I’ve never recorded heart rate whilst racing.

My wifes is very low 40’s, but shes never done a drop of excercise in her life due to poor health.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Mines around 48.

But as long as I keep it below 205 I can still
    Keep pushing

Hee hee, if mine got to 205 I’d need a defibrillator

guitarhero
    Free Member

Just measured mine at 66 bpm
    I have recently measured 200 bpm after intense interval training
    I’m 41 and consider myself pretty fit

AndrewJ
    Free Member

martinxyz
    Free Member

____________________________________________ ____________ __ _ _ _ _ :O)

martinxyz
    Free Member

____________________________________________ ____________ __ _ _ _ _ :O)

mrphil
    Free Member

66bpm resting.

31 years old, 15.5st, not rode for 2 weeks due to injury.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I am 39, the other night I had a max of 195bpm doing sprints and the latest resting was around 45bpm.

Going back to when I was around 24yrs old, my max was often around 204bpm and resting around 50bpm.

I expected the max to be around 180ish 15 years on. Should I be worried?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

70 resting, 215 max

shindiggy
    Free Member

Resting at 38, peak at 205.

Ride 20 miles per day, train/play hockey twice a week.

tomhughes
    Free Member

Have a look into heart rate variability and your mind will boggle.

Mine drops to 28 in the day and has dropped to 26 at night.
    I do have a heart condition though that causes this!

Its funny but I have started wearing a bracelet when I ride that says heart rate very low, don’t give me atropine or put a pacing wire in!
    I worked in cardiology until recently and put a pacing wire in a women whos heart rate was dropping below 30, she arrested twice. I told the registrar who was showing me how to put the wire in that mine dropped to 28. He didn’t believe me so afterwards we put an ecg on me (It was the middle of the night, we were bored) he was pretty shocked at what he saw and that it didn’t seem to affect my performance!

I also received a shot of atropine in Burton A+E whilst working as a med student after I passed out whilst having my toenails removed post marathon (don’t ask). Hence the atropine bracelet, it was not a fun experience. They even had the defib pads on me, scary!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘resting heart rates’ is closed to new replies.