Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Restaurants and Beer Aparteid!
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tsingtao, Cobra, Peroni, Kirin…some of people’s “favourite beers”. Thing is, read the labels…many are “brewed in the UK under license” and so, whether you like it of not, or however you try to dress it up clubber, they’re all just exercises in marketing. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with drinking lager, but don’t try dressing it up too much. Most of them are pish and if you took them out of a bottle and into a glass without the adverts and labels, most of us would struggle to tell the difference.

All that said, sometimes, there’s nothing to beat a cool crisp lager on a hot day. And the lightweights amongst us are pleased with the advent of the four percenters like Becks Vier, Grolsch Blonde etc.

Curry houses could stock some nice bottled IPA if they wanted to give a different option to lagers.

clubber
    Free Member

most of us would struggle to tell the difference

Quite probably but that’s true of lots of things – even many bitters.

‘Brewed in the UK under license’ – yes I know that bit having worked for one of the companies doing a lot of the brewing under license… doesn’t really change whether it’s nice to drink or not though. You don’t have to drink the finest wines all the time to enjoy drinking wine.

Curry houses could stock some nice bottled IPA if they wanted to give a different option to lagers

And I’ll bet they would if they though there was enough of a market for it.

organic355
    Free Member

I personally prefer a glass of Gewürztraminer or Riesling with my Curry.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps your average joe who drinks lager isnt aware of the existance of some wierd drink called IPA.
    Hands up at this point, I like beer, I like british beer a lot and I was a member of CAMRA.
    I that lager is a safe bet to most, whether you have Carling in Bath, Bournemouth or Briddlington it’ll be the same, whereas people dont recognise most beer other than John Smiths (which everyone agrees is sheeeiite) so the local brew is passed by for something familiar like Carling.

organic355
    Free Member

This is lovely with a curry too:

john_drummer
    Free Member

they simply know that they don’t like it

like the little kids that “don’t like” sprouts so they’ve never actually had any 😉

no, I’d argue that, just maybe, they don’t know if they do like it

toys19
    Free Member

Umm I’ve drunk loads of different types of bitter, still prefer lager.. Although I would drink bitter rather than carling or fosters.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

doesn’t really change whether it’s nice to drink or not though

No, it doesn’t. I’m not trying to persuade you ale is nicer to drink. You stick with your bland marketing exercises if you want. What I’m saying is that when you’re popping open a San Miguel or a Cobra or a Tiger, you might not be getting that authentic experience that the marketeers and ad men are telling you you’re getting. More likely it’s been brewed in a big stainless steel monolith on an industrial park outside a minor city to an “authentic” (my arse) recipe and labeled and bottled according to how you feel it should look given the country from which you fancy drinking on that particular evening.

When I said:

most of us would struggle to tell the difference

I meant that outside of the bubble that the admen have created for you, you’d struggle to tell the difference between any of a number of “premium” continental lagers. Actually come to think of it, you might be able to tell the difference because the marketeers have now come up with different glasses (with the activation etched surface on the base to give you that “authentic” head) so that you know what you’re drinking. 🙂 But I suspect you knew that anyway.

You may not be the only person around here with a bit of experience in the brewing industry 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve had sprouts, and I know I don’t like them.

Edric64
    Free Member

The union flag is upside down on that beer bottle!!

Sandwich

The beer is distressed!

BoardinBob

Because other countries have more common sense and better taste in beer than us

Tennent’s Super is marketed as a premium lager in Italy…

brakes
    Free Member

I sampled quite a few beers whilst I was in New Zealand, it’s amazing how many different colours of cold fizzy piss you can buy
    I’d be happy to pay some sort of corkage if I could take my own bottles of St Peters or Bath ales into a restaurant

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

German hotels usually have a basement room with a sign “Lager”. Sadly, the room usually contains junk – lager being German for “store”.

“There’s some very nice German stuff in Aldi at the mo”

Oooh! Will look, ta.

CountZero

Deadly speaks absolute truth. I would be prepared to bet that I could go into a local pub that does ales and lagers on tap, have a sample of each in a clear glass and be unable to tell the difference between any of the lagers, (with the possible exception of Grolsch, which I used to drink a lot of once), whereas I could certainly tell the difference between the ales, in some instances just by the colour, but certainly by flavour.
    Here’s a story:
    Bloke gets home from work at the Miller brewery, calls out, “hey honey, I’m home”. Wife says, “hello dear, you sound cheerful, did you have a good day?”
    “A good day? I had the best day! I’ve invented a beer with absolutely no flavour whatsoever! Now they’ve put me in charge of the brewery”

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Restaurants and Beer Aparteid!’ is closed to new replies.