Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Restaurant recommendations for Lancaster?
  • geoffj

Please? Anything considered.

crazy-legs

A recommendation of one to avoid…
    Do not under any circumstances consider Marco's (Italian place at the north end of the one way system).

Not really got any ideas of outstanding places – it's been a while since I ate out in Lancaster, most places that I went to were good without being anything special.

mildred

When I used to work there, which was about 17 years ago (****, how time flies) There used to be a couple of good indians – one opposite the John O Gaunt Pub, and one opposite the Prison.

The Prison one was a bit low rent decor wise but the food was very good.

grumm
    Free Member

I live in Lancaster – there's a few decent places.

Best places in town imo are either The Gatehouse or Bistro 26 – both very good – Bistro 26 is probably the best food but a little pricier.

The Sultan Indian restaurant is in a very impressive building and the food is decent but not amazing and a little over-priced imo. There's a decent Thai place called Mung Mee near the bus station.

geoffj

There's a decent Thai place called Mung Mee near the bus station.

Now we is getting somewhere. A cheaper Indian perchance?

TheDoog
    Free Member

My bro lives up there and always harps on about wibbly wobbly burger or summik like that

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The Gatehouse and The Sun Cafe (ignore name) are probably the best – though not cheap. Marcos is awful and if you're particularly unlucky the owner will serenade you too 🙁 Pizza Margherita is also good and you can watch the food being prepared. Any particular style preference ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

A cheaper Indian perchance?

just opposite the Castle front gates
    Shabab Indian Restaurant
    23A Castle Hill, Lancaster, LA1 1YN

ChrisE
    Free Member

is the Sultan the one that's in an old church? Had a good meal there about 15 years ago if that counts!

C

grumm
    Free Member

For a cheaper Indian Bombay Balti isn't bad. The place by the castle is ok too though I've not been for a while and it may have changed hands.

Or for really cheep and cheerful you can get the £5.50 all you can eat buffet at Imrans. 🙂

Yup ChrisE that's the Sultan – it is nice, don't get me wrong.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

is the Sultan the one that's in an old church?

yes – I know the owner and they're very friendly but I'm not overly impressed by the food

crazy-legs

is the Sultan the one that's in an old church? Had a good meal there about 15 years ago if that counts!

That's the place, just opposite the Town Hall.
    I've had a couple of good curries from there, takeaway and eat-in.

geoffj

Any particular style preference ?

Not really. Just out with some work colleagues for a meeting on the Thursday.

grumm
    Free Member

Gatehouse does a nice cheap early bird set menu type thing.

http://www.thegatehouserestaurant.co.uk/

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

If you want to travel a few miles out of Lancaster towards Kirby Lonsdale you'll find this little gem. The Highwayman

I've close links to the group that run these restauraunts and have eaten at most of them. Its owned by Nigel Haworth who takes pride in sourcing his produce from the local area. An excellent dining experience…oooh get me I'm starting to sound like a right foodie! 😳 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah the Highwayman is great – I like the way they promote the local farmers etc – lots of great food comes from round here.

IamSam
    Free Member

The meeting house opposite the station is good and if you don't mind a short drive, taxi trip I can recommend the Dalton arms in glasson as well.

Also second bistro 26

geoffj

JacksonP thanks for that. May use that when we are staying at the inlaws on Kendal. Kendal really is piss poor for decent eateries.

yetiguy
    Free Member

i live in lancaster and eat out quite a bit, in my opinion Mung Mee is first class

As someone has already mentions its a thai place with great food.

The borough can be good (a bit hit and miss) but has some cracking early bird deals.

I dont rate the gatehouse at all.

Quite simply french is also very good

Enjoy

creaser
    Free Member

If you want a good drink go to the Yorkshire house its a mate of mine mountain biker and all round nice bloke, a warm welcome a fine selection of real ales but no food served

grumm
    Free Member

Yup the Yorkshire House is a great pub – went to do the Mega with Kev last summer.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

a fine selection of real ales but no food served

so liquid lunches only…
    coming soon, restaurant recommendations for foodless bungy jumping, bilumia clinics and Friday fasting ?

wool

The lunsdale arms just down the road from the highwayman very good home made bread the lot do it !

crazy-legs

JacksonP thanks for that. May use that when we are staying at the inlaws on Kendal. Kendal really is piss poor for decent eateries.

The best place in Kendal is The Brewery Arts Centre. The pub does great pizza or there's the restaurant just next door, also excellent. There's a good Indian in Kendal as well – can't remember the name but it's tucked away down a side street. One of those local restaurants for local people! 😉

geoffj

crazy-legs, the Brewery is OK during the day, but not great in the evening IME. As for the Indian, I guess you mean the Eastern Balti?

geoffj

Thanks folks. It turned out that colleagues had a cheep as chips dinner, B&B deal in the hotel, so we ate there (shite!) and then went to the Borough for a couple of sherberts. tWas quite nice 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Restaurant recommendations for Lancaster?’ is closed to new replies.