Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • respro masks in the city ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

i know ill look like a complete fanny but i spend alot of time riding in heavy traffic and im concious of the fumes. Does anyone here use one ?

I have developed a severely bunged up nose and throat – dry bunged like an allergy since i have moved here and i sneeze often

Im well hydrated and well fed –

Ive recently changed from quiet town where i met about 4 cars on my commute to a city where i ride through 100 or 200 cars a day and behind busses etc.

What are they like to ride in ? do they restrict your breathing much ?

coatesy
    Free Member

Tried one many years ago, very restrictive on the breathing, makes your glasses steam up the moment you stop, and I seemed to suffer with a sore throat within days of using it(stopped within days of not using it), and if you regularly replace the filters as I did then it costs you a small fortune.

theboatman
    Free Member

Been commuting daily for years by bike, always into city centre hospitals. About 5-6 years ago started to worry about the crap I was sucking in and bought a respro mask. As coatesy reports, I found it restrictive on my breathing, and I found it generally uncomfortable in different ways depending on the weather! When I factored in the filter costs I just decided those little black particles were more preferable to the mask. I imagine they have moved on since I tried them so if you are worried give one a go, you haven't got 'owt to lose and then if you decide to continue or go without, at least you will be making an inform choice of your own 🙂

Expat
    Free Member

ball of cotton wool in the mouth as a cheap filter?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Hold your breath?

Top.Dog
    Free Member

i was thinking of getting one, as i am sick of swallowing flies as a pass the local sewage works 😳

stealthcat

I had a similar problem when I started commuting in London, so tried the masks. I've found that they work pretty well for me, though I don't wear glasses with them, and the only time I find they make it harder to breathe is in the pouring rain when they get soggy.

I probably don't change the filters as often as I should – when the filter looks lke it's clogged up – so it's not that much of an expense, and I've always used the sport versions of the masks, as the valve design does seem to make a difference.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘respro masks in the city ?’ is closed to new replies.