Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Respray…………………………………hmm.
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

Just stripped the parts from my slidey Inbred with the intention of getting it resprayed at Bob Jacksons in Leeds. I was just wondering, though, would powder coating be better than BJs traditional stove enamelling? If so, does anyone know of a place in the Leeds/West Yorkshire area that does a full strip/prime/powdercoat service?
    Also what are the chances that 'I'll build it up with the stuff I've taken off' promise to the missus holding out? 😉
    For some strange reason I got quite stressed when removing the headset cups – dithered about it for a while – odd. 😐

firestarter
    Free Member

dunno but i had a frame done at bob jacksons and it was done very well indeed 😉

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I had my commuter done at Jacksons and, yes, it's very nice. Was just wondering if powdercoat is, er, tougher with regards to MTB frame.

PePPeR

Powder coating falls off very quickly!!, if it chips it tends to start peeling off.

You're better off using their stove enamelling!

rolfharris
    Free Member

There's a place in Halifax that would respray it for about £30- they did my mate's Cove full susser for £40 in Kawasaki green and it looked wonderful. Every bit the real deal.

I was going to get my Enduro sprayed there, but then I fell in love with a new bike and so I'm not anyore 😕

Northwind

Disagree with Pepper, it's certainly true that once powdercoat is damaged water can get under it and cause it to lift, but it's harder to damage in the first place than stove enamelling- enamelling is hard but brittle, powdercoat is softer but more plastic. You can also avoid this by getting in with a little laquer or nail varnish and covering up any damage that's gone through the finish.

I wouldn't ever stove enamel a mountain bike personally, but it's good for road bikes, a beautiful finish and very corrosion/neglect resistant.

JoeNation
    Free Member

I have a Bob Jackson frame and the finish is superb. I've not had it long enough for it to get knocked about, but it certainly seems as tough as the factory finish on my Inbred. Plus, BJ know what they're doing, and they'll look after your frame properly.

jonb
    Free Member

Not all powder coatings are equal. So some may be more suited to bike use than others.

crazy-legs

Bob Jackson used to do all the respray/repair work for damaged frames that we got in in the shop I used to work at. He was very good indeed, nice chap. Always quick turnaround and he'd do all sorts of weird and wonderful paint jobs on request.

I've had 2 frames resprayed by Argos in Bristol
    http://www.argoscycles.com
    and they did a very good job on both. The MTB was a simple strip and 1-colour respray, the road frame I sent needed new seatstays and a 2-tone fade paintjob and the repair was invisible except under very close inspection. Excellent paint work too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Respray…………………………………hmm.’ is closed to new replies.