• This topic has 56 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ski.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Responding to bailiffs
  • nickf
    Free Member

Elf, I know you like to play Jack-the-lad, but do me two favours

1) Write in English. Strickly, I spose I shudnt cumplain, speshly as your usually quiet amusing, n’all. However, anyone who uses ‘ergo’ in the ordinary course of a sentence and is properly able to use both brackets and semicolons can, I think, be relied upon to spell correctly.

2) Don’t play the hard man. Had a million run-ins with the bailiffs, have you? You’re clearly a man on the edge of society, living on your wits, surviving each day in the ‘hood only ‘cos you has respec’, innit? An’ you took on Thatchler, fightin’ the law by not payin’ tax! And taunting bailiffs! Yo, blud! You the man!

Far from being a fear-no-one, street-fighting-man, I’d lay money that you’re a Fine Arts graduate who lives in Primrose Hill.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Bailiffs are hired thieves employed by cxnts within pockets of corrupt and complicit foulness who have no concern for morals or human decency. When I am king I shall hang them all from lamp posts as an example. They are the twisted, greedy and heartless fingers of bureaucracy. A pox on all their houses may their children be born twisted and bent.

“just because its your job, doesn’t make it right boss” Coolhand Luke.

toys19
    Free Member

Ohh Mr Nutt so well put.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Whereas those who borrow money and don’t pay it back, they’re just lovely aren’t they. If people weren’t c*nts there’d be no need for bailiffs.

nickf
    Free Member

MrNutt, you can, of course, look at it a different way.

I have a house that I rent out. Nothing wrong with that, and I’m a good landlord. The place is in great condition, everything gets fixed as/when it breaks or wears out, and I have it redecorated regularly.

Except that the last tenant decided not to pay. Turns out, after much digging, that she’s done this before, and that she knows all the tricks. I’m a single mum, you can’t chuck me out. He’s white, I’m black, he’s discriminating. You name it, I was accused of it.

So a lot of court hearings had to be had, with her appealing every one (free legals for her, of course), culminating in the court telling her to get out. She didn’t, and eventually a court-appointed bailiff had to be used to force her out, supported by the police. She still owes me many thousands of pounds, which I have Bob Hope of ever getting.

Bailiffs are hired thieves employed by cxnts within pockets of corrupt and complicit foulness who have no concern for morals or human decency.

I beg to differ; these bailiffs were polite, well-dressed, totally professional, but equally, absolutely immovable. They took absolutely no crap from the tenant, pointing out the obvious; she had to go, and now. Nice enough guys, just doing a job. No threats, no implied violence, and a good working knowledge of their specific area of the law. I was impressed and pleasantly surprised.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nickf; untwist yer knickers, son! 😆

Don’t play the hard man

Where’d I do that then?

Far from being a fear-no-one, street-fighting-man, I’d lay money that you’re a Fine Arts graduate who lives in Primrose Hill.

Lovely! I wish!

Come and meet me for a pint sometime; get to know the man behind the legend…

monksie
    Free Member

Mr Nutt. As discussed at the time of your problems, bailiffs are not a nice breed but are a neccessary evil.
    I won’t take your comments above personally 🙂
    I wasn’t going to comment more than I have but while I’m here I might as well.
    Quite a lot of stuff on this thread is pretty accurate, some of it plain wrong, the odd bit quite dangerous and the little person with the big gob is (as usual) talking utter tripe but he’s a colourful character so hey ho, why not let him carry on. He will anyway in a sad kind of way.

MrNutt
    Free Member

monksie I’ll make an exception in your case mate, its the stocks for a week in swindon town center, I’m a fair and courteous ruler you’ll agree 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

the little person with the big gob is (as usual) talking utter tripe

I assume you’re talking about me… 😀

Are you a bailiff then Monksie?

Thing is, most of the neanderthals myself and others have had to deal with have had little or no understanding of the Law; using threats and intimidation to get their own way. That’s wrong. It’s ok if yer someone like me, who knows where they stand legally, but what if it’s an old or frail person who is intimidated and frightened? This happens far too often. Too many bailiffs break the Law.

monksie
    Free Member

I’ll come quietly if you promise to not chuck stuff at me 🙂

“Are you a bailiff then Monksie?”

How very dare you! :-). No. I’m not a fit and proper person (mental health issues – oh the irony) so I can’t be and wouldn’t want to be a bailiff. I get paid to try and manage them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

As I said before; bailiffs sometimes need to be used, but too often, it seems that they use illegal tactics to seize property. I must say, far from being the ‘hard man’, when I was faced with two big ugly blokes insisting they were going to seize my property, I felt pretty bloody scared. Which is why I grabbed a lump of wood. Yes, they had a court order, but it wasn’t in my name, and therefore legally null and void. They weren’t prepared to listen. What is someone supposed to do in that situation? Let them take their goods? How would they get them back?

I think bailiffs should have to have some form of legal qualification. The current law doesn’t require this. This is a flaw. If they have had legal training, then they will be better at their jobs.

Anyway, as I said; the Op can happily simply ignore any future letters from the debt collectors, as they don’t apply to them. They aren’t legally required to respond in any way. It’s for the DCs/bailiffs to ensure they have the Law on their side, which in this case, they don’t.

monksie
    Free Member

“Op can happily simply ignore any future letters from the debt collectors….”
    and in the fullness of time (possibly)
    “had hold of a lump of wood in case the bastards tried stepping over my threshold.”
    It’s just my opinion like but that doesn’t seem like a very “happy” occurence.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Problem was, Monksie, that the bailiffs at my door were acting illegally, so that wasn’t ‘normal’ circumstances. What they should have done, is stated who they were, and their intention, showed their authorisation, then listened to me as I explained the people they were looking for no longer lived at that address. Then left it at that. Instead, they attempted to illegally enter my home.

I doubt the OP will face the same scenario. I will say that this sort of thing isn’t the ‘norm’ with bailiffs, but it does happen far too much.

Se, in the OP’s case, he’s not supposed to know the content of the letters, as he’s not sposed to open them, as they’re not addressed to him. Therefore he is protected by Law from any action by the DCs.

beanieripper
    Free Member

put them in the bin…..forget….end of.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Se, in the OP’s case, he’s not supposed to know the content of the letters, as he’s not sposed to open them, as they’re not addressed to him. Therefore he is protected by Law from any action by the DCs.

Of course what you are saying is true, but back in the real world why not nip it in the bud and avoid the lump of wood scenario?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think bailiffs should have to have some form of legal qualification. The current law doesn’t require this. This is a flaw. If they have had legal training, then they will be better at their jobs.

I think this is a good idea, it might clean the business up too, in much the same way as the regulation of doormen, made that industry a whole load cleaner

ski
    Free Member

We are in the same position as the op

This is what we have been doing for the last two years! Most of the bailiffs that have been round, have been fine, we provide i.d. to prove who we are, pass on all the info we have on who they are trying to contact and that’s that.

One group did clamp our car once, which got a bit sticky/nasty until we could prove who owned the car!

Last thing I would do is try piss these guys off with lumps of wood?

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Responding to bailiffs’ is closed to new replies.