Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • resistance training and cardio
  • simonlovell999
    Free Member

How does resistance training compare to using free weights or do a variation of both and get dumbbells/bar/kettle bells. Then doing 45 min blast on the bike and incorporating press ups, sit ups, dips, bicep curls using outdoor furniture.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’ve read that a few times and cannot decipher what you’re asking.

sc-xc

As above, what’s the question?

I do some resistance and cardio most days.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I mean, which is better overall for variation/strength building out of resistance training or free weights. And doing a small 30 min fast cycle going to build up cardio strength and generally improve my fitness overall

BoardinBob

I mean, which is better overall for variation/strength building out of resistance training or free weights.

Define “better”. There’s a big difference between developing “beach” muscles, and developing functional strength you can actually use. It’s not simply a case of saying machines vs free weights. I mix up both though my machine workouts tend to focus on core stuff rather than guns, pecs etc. My free weight stuff revolves around deadlifts, squats, farmers walks etc.

And doing a small 30 min fast cycle going to build up cardio strength and generally improve my fitness overall

That’ll get you fit for a 30 minute fast cycle. If that’s all you ever do on bike then it’ll be great, otherwise not so great.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

So, do a variation of both weights and resistance. 3 times a week resistance and once a week on weights. Then a few short blasts every day and one longer ride on a day off from work.

sadexpunk

as mentioned above, depends on your goals, im still not sure what exactly youre after. basic ‘feel better’ fitness? cardio strength to help your riding fitness? bodybuilding?

basically id say your body adapts to averages, so if you do half weights/ half cardio youll get slightly better at both. go all in on one of them and youd be far better at that.

so……what you after? 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘resistance training and cardio’ is closed to new replies.