Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Resistance Bikes
  • nickc

Has anyone got any more info on this?

Resistance Bikes

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bin dun

I see no advantages…..and quite a lot of disadvantages there 😯

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Fun, this fits to this singletrackworld discussion:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/who-came-up-with-this-single-pivot-suspension-design

asked a similar question there. And learnt a lot (I hope..).

“Resistance bikes” suspension looks clean.

But belongs to:

single pivot (without linkage actuated shock/ the shock is direct conected to the seat stay) … and that’s:
    according to:

Single pivot: limited control of shock and wheel parameters.
    Single pivot with shock linkage: high control of shock parameters, limited control of wheel parameters.
    Linkage: high control of shock and wheel parameters

the easiest (and oldest) suspension type which – most likely – won’t perform very well

But the smart part of the “resistance bike” design is maybe in the damper?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Tried to figure out on their web page what these resistance guys are up to.
    Gear box?
    And correct – they plan to use their own – very long travel shock.

They use the simple suspension type without shock linkage. Means they have to use a long strocke shock.

But the bike should be – in the end – a downhill bike?
    In this case the “big oil volume” in the shock might help avoiding too much heat build up in this shock.

Some neat ideas.
    But this very simple suspension together with the gear box and carbon fibre might be a bit of a strange mix.
    Custom shock, integrated in the frame: difficult to manufacture. Expensive! But the “looks” will be great.

tomhoward

That looks amazing IMO.

That’s where my interest ends, until someone tells me it works as well as more… external designs.

Rorschach
    Free Member
    andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Above link from ‘Rorschach’:

Very neat!
    To use a fork stanchion as shock: ha.
    That”s an idea!

mickmcd
    Free Member

I’m sure that lad kicks about on the framebuilders group on facebook

RustySpanner

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks niiiiice 🙂

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Resistance bikes is broke now:

The Resistance Insolent uses top tube as body for rear shock

Er, why?

Why make the top tube into a rear shock body? There’s no doubt a bit of “because we can”-ness about this concept. And the designers make no bones about liking the way it looks. But what about from a performance point of view?

Bike designers have spent most of the past few years removing the rear shock from being a structural part of the frame (to reduce sideloads on the shock which causes binding as well as undue wear and tear). Resistance do more than fly in the face of such ideas. They actively go backwards to such theories.

Perhaps this is why the model is called Insolent. (It is a great name, to be fair).

Resistance Bikes’ explanation: “The integrated structure of the Resistance Bikes frame reduces the amount of material required to achieve satisfactory rigidity.”

Perhaps the key word here is “satisfactory”. Not “unparalleled”. Not “none more stiff”. It is stiff enough to do the job in hand and has the benefits of being lighter overall weight.

Guess they tried too much.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Will they change the bike name to Insolvent?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s nice that people are willing to try new (or old) things, but I hope they’ve not put their life savings into the project.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Deviate Guide:

Deviate Guide is a carbon gearbox enduro bike designed in the UK

Long travel like Resistance
    Gear box like Resistance
    Complex Chainline

Design goal of Resistance: simplicity (in regard of suspension)
    Design goal of Deviate Guide: make best use out of gear box (in regard of suspension)

The Deviate Guide looks like a hell of a complex machine. Reviews are great.
    Lets hope that they are on the road to success – other than Resistance Bikes!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Resistance Bikes’ is closed to new replies.