Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Resin bonded gravel driveways anyone?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Just thinking about this but have no idea of cost?
    Can anyone give me some idea of cost per m2 and how they actually go about it regarding hardcore depth etc?

yetidave
    Free Member

I understand that if you need any repairs you will never match in so the patch will always look a bit gash, but they are great for cleaning, usual maintenance. But interested in costs as well so going to keep watching the thread. Sub base need to be strong.
    http://www.drivewayexpert.co.uk/resin-based-surfacing-driveway.html

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Depends on the aggregate you choose starts at around £60 per sqm laid.

Goes on top of existing concrete or tarmac. Around 18mm thick

choppersquad
    Free Member

As a bit of an ‘out there’ idea, the wife was thinking about having it instead of a patio?
    We saw it at Hampton Court flower show and it looked pretty cool.
    Was hoping to compare it to slabs and see roughly how it compared in cost?

spooky_b329

As a guide, I was told it costs about the same as decent block paving. Not sure how accurate that is, and also you need to check if you want proper resin bonded where the gravel is coated in the resin, or resin spread on the surface and gravel spread over the top.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Have a look at these guys: http://www.addagrip.co.uk useful stuff about build ups. I spoke to one client who had a lot of it laid at two different times over existing surfacing. He said a) sub base critical for longevity of surface finish appearance and b) sub contractor who lays the stuff also critical! These guys also use some bigger aggregates which I think look better. You can also use your own choice of aggregate but it needs washing and if I recall drying before they will lay it. It can also be built up as a porous finish if on the right sub base.

postierich
    Free Member

lethal in the wet and ice #wherethereisaclaim

choppersquad
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Definite food for thought.

thepurist

Never had a problem with ours in the wet or ice, but ours is a resin coat with aggregate added on top rather than the sureset type where the mixed resin and aggregate is applied in a layer. Don’t doubt a postie when it comes to walking on drives in all weathers!

smokey_jo

Make sure the sub base is good, we didn’t and now need annual weed treatment.

Seem to encourage moss growth of in the shade.

Not had a problem with ice and wet but ours has good drainage gradients

postierich
    Free Member

sorry somehow I missed the gravel bit !

innit_gareth
    Free Member

I was recently quoted 8.5k for 120sq m.

Currently tarmac, parts of which have been dug up so there was a fair amount of prep work involved.

They look awesome but 8.5k is a bit rich for me.

epicyclo

Pros: Looks good done right. Easily damaged by heavy metal things. If you’re parking a car on it, eventually the bit where you stop goes bald.

Cons: When repair time comes round, it’s expensive because you have to do quite a a large area otherwise you end up with patchy looking bits. Wears well with light use.

takisawa2

The resin breaking down in the sun would be my concern but the council did some in town that’s been down a few years. The nice buscuit shade has faded to a scuffed beiges grey now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Resin bonded gravel driveways anyone?’ is closed to new replies.