Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Resin Bonded floors
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

Getting towards the end of the bathroom refurb and now looking at flooring. I don’t like tiled floors and was going to go for vinyl/lino but in the Google search bonded resin flooring came up.
    As any one had any experience of using this in the home interior either bathroom or kitchen and on top of a wooden (marine ply and chipboard)suspended floor?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have that installed – stuff I got installed is called quartz stone flooring. Like everything else it has pro’s and cons.

Pro’s – Looks good, installation was free with purchase (was £60 per square metre IIRC, which sounds a bit expensive, but no tiler costs incurred frinstance.

con’s – Cleanliness. I’m not convinced it’s watertight to be honest (it’s only loads of really small stones mixed with a clear epoxy), so I’m loathe to mop it properly as if it’s not watertight, the ply below and floor will stay damp and rot.

A work colleague had it installed at the same time as myself, his missus mopped it constantly and he said the bathroom ended up smelling really damp, so he ripped it up and floor was indeed soaking.

I really like the look of it when it’s done, really nice finish round all the edges of toilet etc, but I’m getting a new bathroom installed next week and it’s getting ripped up.

I’ve had it for 3 years, maybe there is better stuff on the market, just sharing my experiences Craig.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve seen that they do both a porous and non-porous version. The wife uses one of those steam mop things so minimal exposure to water.

Either you or your mate having problems with cracking with it been laid on wooden floor?

It is the seamless and uniform look that appeals to me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No probleams at all with cracking. I put down Marine ply (can’t remember how thick) and screwed it down every 6″.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

FIL used to have company laying these floors. Should be non porous if the top sealer has been applied correctly.
    Should be primed, screed and then two coats of clear seal if Epoxy as I recall. Can’t think anyone would want the PU version in a domestic setting. Does not require sealing but look very industrial.
    60 per square meter is very, very cheap.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Resin Bonded floors’ is closed to new replies.