Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Resin bolts STW hive mind.
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I’m fitting a floating mantle shelf obove my fireplace but I’ve been unravel to drill more than a couple of cm into the wall. I think there is a concrete lintel which isn’t letting any drill I have. Can I set the screws to hang the shelf into usin resin that shallow?
    Not sure what else I can do?

Rubber_Buccaneer

If it’s concrete an SDS drill should do the job unless you have hit some reinforcing iron work. If you use resin that shallow into plaster I’d not put anything breakable on it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

get a propper drill…..rent/borrow/beg

i did mine with a hilti SDS hammer drill.

my mantles HEAVY though – i drilled it 3 holes – infact i think it came with 3 and i drilled 2 more in the mantle – i physically cant lift that beam into place my self. resined threaded rod into the mantle and then used large steel spreader plates and double nuts in the back of the lintel to hold it up.

for what your proposing – you might as well no more nails it to the surface – as my previous owner had done with an mdf mantle….

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

It’s heavy but is holed with three key slots on the back. The screws it’s supplied with aren’t that massive. SDS it might be.

Sundayjumper

A proper SDS drill will do the job. I’ve had exactly the same experience putting up curtain rails in the past.

Puny little drill – goes nowhere.

SDS – WHOOSH. Done.

stumpy01

+1 SDS drill.

I’ve got a hammer action Bosch drill that is OK for general stuff, but struggle to put holes in the walls for curtain rails/hooks for mirrors/pictures etc.

The SDS drill goes in with virtually no effort.

sssimon
    Free Member

SDS for the win, spent 40 minutes drilling one cm deep 8mm hole a few months back, did the other 7 in 10 minutes with the father in laws SDS. Really must invest in one

ianfitz
    Free Member

There’s a 1950’s estate where we looked at a house that had been built with a job lot of engineering bricks. I understand a lot of people had trouble drilling the walls there too !

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

If you’re local to Baildon, West York’s you can borrow one of my demonstration SDS drills, will have the fixings and/or resin as well if you need it 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Resin bolts STW hive mind.’ is closed to new replies.