Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Resignation letter
  • zokes
    Free Member

So then, MrsZ is about to resign having been offered a position at a rival charity to where she currently works, with better conditions, pay, and career options. Last time I had to write a resignation letter I was jacking in a short-term position for a permanent job in Oz, so quite easy to have a couple of paragraphs of guff without sticking the knife in, and as it was obviously a huge opportunity it would be difficult for any manager to bear a grudge.

In MrsZ’s case however, whilst the move is up a little, it’s more sideways as she’s really had it with the ineptitude of her current organisation. They will also probably react pretty badly when they find out where she’s going to. She doesn’t want to burn bridges, but does see this as a chance to highlight some of the reasons for her leaving.

What does the hive-mind think? In a small industry, I’d be very tempted to leave it as some variant on “so long and thanks for all the fish”, simply stating that she has secured a new position elsewhere, but I understand that she also sees some semi-noble cause in that perhaps her move might improve things for her now soon-to-be-ex-colleagues, with whom she’s close friends with quite a few.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve always done a short polite thanking everyone type letter, but made the detailed explanations in person.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

but does see this as a chance to highlight some of the reasons for her leaving.

Not in writing, no sirree.

She can do that if and only if they arrange an exit interview.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Y Darc is right. For once. 😉

Cougar

I understand the sentiment and a desire to get things off her chest, but nothing good will come of it.

I’ve written “I would like to take this opportunity to say…” letters before now. I felt better, but realistically it’s lip service. At best nothing will change, at worst they’ll be awkward when she wants a reference.

I’d suggest writing the letter she wants to write, then tearing it up / keeping it in a drawer and sending the actual letter to the tune of the DNA quote above.

luke
    Free Member

I’m a firm believer of leaving on good terms you never know when you might be thankful you did. And within the charity sector alot of people know people in other charities.

zokes
    Free Member

Good, I’m glad that’s settled then!

So long and thanks for all the fish it is then…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Slightly off the topic but, who pays the people who work for charities?

scaredypants

I was denied an exit interview once – best not to ask a question if you don’t want to hear the answer. I don’t think it would have affected my subsequent spectacular career development but it sho’ as shit wouldn’t have helped me in any way, though I was gagging for the opportunity

Frankly, if she’s just brief and businesslike in her letter and states where she’s going, they’d be stupid not to see why (porbably so stupid that actually telling them wouldn’t help)

deserter
    Free Member

I would never have a snipe on the way out of the door as nothing will come of it other than not being able to return

imnotamused
    Free Member

Yep, keep it simple, thank them and wish them all the best for the future etc and move on. Always leave the door open, even if you think you’re never going to use it

nealglover
    Free Member

Really ??

zokes
    Free Member

Donors, government grants, etc…

She’s a trained professional – it’s hardly like she (or anyone else) would do it for free full time!

ourmaninthenorth

Top tip for work: go to a job, never from one.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Top tip for work: go to a job, never from one.

Mantra-man.

Cougar

Mantra-man.

We just call him Ray.

zokes
    Free Member

Next question (as I now seem to be the one who has to write the letter) – how much guff? 1 para enough? It says all it needs to (leaving, where to, thanks, thanks again, bye), but looks a little lame…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Short and to the point.

I raised some of my issues in an exit interview – boss couldn’t see what was wrong – glad I left 😀

scaredypants

Top tip for work: go to a job, never from one

Have you missed some words out there ourman, r am I especially dim tonight ?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

She’s a trained professional – it’s hardly like she (or anyone else) would do it for free full time!

Which is why I’m a very uncharitable person.
    I once gave a tenner to a charity then found out It’s chairman was on 90K a year.
    Stuff that.
    Sorry, might just be the mood I’m in.

youngrob

I’ve always written short, to the point resignations, no matter how much I’ve wanted to vent at the boss. They won’t have a moment of clarity after reading the letter and see everything from your point of view, you’ll just come across as bitter.

As said above, leave the door open.

br
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be saying where I’m going either – just tell them she’s off and thank you.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, sounds like it.

zokes
    Free Member

I once gave a tenner to a charity then found out It’s chairman was on 90K a year.
    Stuff that.

Well, she’s an occupational therapist providing a service to people with vision loss. It’s a service they want to offer, and they require qualified staff to offer it.

And depending on the size of the organisation, 90K might not be much to get someone of the quality needed to run and develop a charity. Would you rather he gave his 90K services for free? That would make your tenner appear rather paltry in comparison, don’t you think?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

My last job was £45k+, I currently volunteer to a charity for free.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My last one was very short and sweet.

Basically said notice as per my contact. Last day will be. However, x days leave outstanding so last day in office will be.

zokes
    Free Member

Great – would you like a biscuit? 🙄

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As you think, don’t burn bridges, bad words of advice probably won’t make any difference for those remaining day to day. It’s difficult to not let rip, but it would prob not change anything. So, hold back and just say thanks for …….er? nothing very much.

BrickMan

+1 on leaving it short, sweet and professional. Unless you’ve been completely burned and are moving into 100% totally different industry, 100% new location (neither of which are possible as there is ALWAYS a tedious link between them, ALWAYS), otherwise it will somehow kick up a stink at a later date.

HR dept (if its big enough not just to be the woman on front desk with a different hat on) might ring you and ask why, you can give them the flack via phone, not written.

mau00149
    Free Member

As said above, always better to try to leave on good terms, no point dragging it out. It’s a small world at the end of the day. If you’ve made the decision to go, then look forward, can’t change the past. Sample from a previous resignation letter

Dear insert Employer,

After careful thought and consideration, I have decided to resign from my position as isert title with insert company effective insert date.

Although this has been a difficult decision to make, I have been offered an opportunity that I believe will help me reach my long-term career goals. This decision was not an easy one and involved many hours of thoughtful consideration, particularly with respect to my own plans for my future. I am confident, however, that this new position represents a positive move toward fulfilling my career goals. I hope you will understand my reasons for moving on.

Please be assured that I will do all I can to assist in the smooth transfer of my responsibilities before leaving.

I have enjoyed being a part of the insert company team and am thankful for the opportunities given to me during my time here. I owe a great deal to the company and wish you all the best in future endeavours.

I wish you, and the entire team at insert company the best of luck in the future.

I hope that I can rely on you for a positive reference in future.

Yours Sincerely

ourmaninthenorth

Mantra-man

Too right, baby!

scaredypants

mau’s would be good – be sure to leave the “insert company” bits intact, so they know she hates them all really

zokes
    Free Member

Aha – that’s great, mau00149 – cheers! That’s the sort of guff I was looking for to make ‘so long and thanks for all the fish’ a bit more meaningful.

singletrackmind

magowen100
    Free Member

Dear boss,
    I’m leaving, so foxtrot oscar back to the hole from whence you came.
    Me

No thanks needed…. 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dear X,

Thans it wasfun nd I will miss you all

Bye

Me

That is all that is required no one will remember how nice you were just that you were.

How much thought would an employer put into a redundancy letter

Dont piss them off, just say you are going

Although this has been a difficult decision to make, I have been offered an opportunity that I believe will help me reach my long-term career goals. This decision was not an easy one and involved many hours of thoughtful consideration, particularly with respect to my own plans for my future. I am confident, however, that this new position represents a positive move toward fulfilling my career goals. I hope you will understand my reasons for moving on.

this reds s you are shit and I cannot fulfil myself here in this role – fine for a promotion but not for the same job somewhere else IMHO

zokes
    Free Member

bump?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well, she’s an occupational therapist providing a service to people with vision loss. It’s a service they want to offer, and they require qualified staff to offer it.

And depending on the size of the organisation, 90K might not be much to get someone of the quality needed to run and develop a charity. Would you rather he gave his 90K services for free? That would make your tenner appear rather paltry in comparison, don’t you think?
    Wrong of me to assume she was anything other than ‘admin’ or something Zokes & apologies. I stand corrected. (said the man in the orthopaedic shoes)
    My tenner was paltry when I consider what your Mrs is trained in.

(My Mrs is a paediatric nurse so I know where we are)

However I’d love to say on mine,
    ‘Dear boss, stick your job where the sun don’t shine’

Except it might affect my pension.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tough times eh!! Hope the coffee is good.

Like mos things it’s better to pay someone decent full time than get a bunch of well intentioned numpties in there.

As for the letter 1-2 paragraphs should be fine – in a private office or meeting room when you deliver the news.

Also don’t put the final countdown on your facebook page in the morning and don’t let everyone but the management know before you tell them….certainly don’t tell the people who sit near the department head that you are going too quit at a certain time to watch for the reaction…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dear son of a bitch of a **** middle manager ****,

You’ve made my life a misery here. Frankly I wanted to **** off two weeks after I joined but have wasted two miserable years here because some people on a shitty mountain bike forum said it would look bad on my CV.

Truth be known, you weasilly tosser, you couldn’t manage to shit in a hole without **** it up, and making sure your team gets covered in it too, lest you had to take any responsibility for your multitude of cock ups. I look across the office every day, and I’ve had to decide to leave because the murderous thoughts that fill my head are now getting too disturbing to live with day in day out.

You are the PETER principle personified.

I’d like to say thanks for the support and guidance during the last two years. Yeah, I’d like to, but because you never gave me any, but instead dribbled over Stacey from customer service, I’m afraid there’s nothing to thank you for.

Finally, your breath stinks, Jon from R&D runs a sweepstake on how many times you’ll say “going forward” every team meeting and I’m pretty sure young Jim in Goods In is certainly putting the goods in with your wife every Wednesday morning.

So long and thanks for the fishes,

Mrs Zokes.

(she can have that for free)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Resignation letter’ is closed to new replies.