Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Resignation letter
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve just been offered a new job and so need to hand in my notice with my current employer, what do I need to put in my resignation?

Any advice with this would be greatly received, thanks.

FuzzyWuzzy

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish

iDave
    Free Member

i resign as of today – that's all you need to put

you don't need to offer explanations or fond farewells

jam-bo

do you have a notice period to work? any accrued leave?

tell them the last day of employment and the last day you expect to be in the office.

if its anything like my old place, sit back and wait for the HR director to phone up and offer you loads of money…

clubber
    Free Member

Dear My Boss

Please accept this letter as notice of my resignation. My last working day will be xxxxxxxx.

Yours sincerely

JEngledow

You can add something more personal if you feel that it's relevant – eg I wish you all the best in the future, you're a complete bunch of muppets, etc… 🙂

DickBarton

Not really in the same league but Homer Simpsons letter to his ex-girlfriend was very good –

Dear XXXX,

Welcome to Dumpsville – population YOU!

I'm sure you could do something similar!

clubber
    Free Member

Or another good one was my mate turning down a job offer.

Dear XXXX company,

Thank you for your interest in me for the role of XXXXXX. Unfortunately you weren't successful in your offer of the role to me. I wish you every success in finding a successful applicant.

Yours XXXX

He did say he'd rather starve than work at that company so I guess he didn't mind burning bridges 🙂

willard

If you want to burn bridges….

Dear Mr. Boss.

**** you and the horse your company rode in on. I hate you all and always have, and there is now a chance for me to leave the shallow, retarded life that you call this company, and the role that you have forced upon me for the last <insert number here> weeks/months/years.

Soon, I shall be leaving this place and taking the opportunity to enrich my life at another company. Somewhere that values my creativity, wit and intelligence. Somewhere that makes me feel part of a family, and not like an inmate on death row.

Yours,

<insert name>

Too harsh?

samuri
    Free Member

I think that nicely treads the line between subtlety and directness willard.

For the original OP, it's just

I hearby tender my resignation on (date). My last working day will be (date)

Sincerely,

Make sure you get any holidays that are owed to you. They'll let you work them if you don't do anything about it.

And as Jambo says, wait for the begging and pleading to start, assuming you're any good. 😉

Davy
    Free Member

Don't do anything until you have a contract! Offers can be withdrawn!

freeform5spot
    Free Member

As davy says!

Dont burn bridges!

Most industries are quite incestuous and your ex boss of your ex company could one day end up being your new boss!!!

Stoner
    Free Member

I hearby tender my resignation

You don't have to sound like Rumpole of the Bailey you know! 🙂

Fraz
    Free Member
    Dobbo

Dear Bellend,
    **** you I'm out of here.

Lots of Love,

Dobbo.

uplink
    Free Member

Don't do anything until you have a contract! Offers can be withdrawn!

Most of the jobs I've had, I didn't get a contract until a couple of weeks into doing it
    All our lot do is send out the Ts&Cs with the job offer – no one will get an actual contract until after they've started

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

This would be my choice :

Dear Gaffer,

Goodbye-ee, goodbye-ee,
    Wipe the tear, baby dear, from your eye-ee,
    Tho' it's hard to part I know,
    I'll be tickled to death to go.
    Don't cry-ee, dont sigh-ee,
    there's a silver lining in the sky-ee,
    Bonsoir, old thing, cheer-i-o, chin, chin,
    Nap-poo, toodle-oo, Goodbye-ee.

Ernie x

ART

Would just echo the 'don't resign until you have written confirmation/contract for new job' – appreciating that this can vary, but get as much certainty as you can. Then as above, take into account notice period/ leave owed etc, state last day etc and anything nice (ahem) you want to say. As tempting as it is to have that long awaited rant, it's pretty much alway best to leave on good terms. It's a small world and you may need that reference etc in the future, and if they have been b*****ds to you then you have the satisfaction of maintaining the high moral ground and not having sunk to their level. Well done on new job and good luck. 😀

JEngledow
    Free Member

Ernie, that's so beautiful it brought a tear to my eye 😆

Thanks for the advice, I'll go for short and sweet and try not to burn any bridges (although I'd love to pinch one out onto my boss's desk and stick a little flag in it with the words 'I quit' 😈 )

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Resignation letter’ is closed to new replies.