Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Resignation
  • alexonabike

I work for a small company and am currently being trained up by the boss to take over his side of the business. Not taking over the business, just the work he does.

Since day one I have not enjoyed the job, 6 months in and I still don't. I have enrolled in a college course in a totally unrelated area (it's going to be refreshing going back to college only just having graduated with a degree!) and wish to quit this job without offending my current employer.

How best do I go about handing in my notice? He has put all his eggs in one basket with me and I do feel bad about letting him down.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SIX MONTHS ??

alexonabike

Yes. 😕

csb

I hope you're training in something self-employed?

If I saw a resignation after 6 months on a CV it'd go in the bin.

bruneep

Dear Sir,

Poke your job.

Regards

Alex

something like that?

hora
    Free Member

How he'd need to see it is the longer you are there the less attentive you'd be to the job in hand. Better he know sooner than to keep on training you further (i.e. spending even more time).

Theres nothing wrong with admitting something isn't right for you. Unless you make ancient Kantana Japanese swords and your master is about to die. Then you should feel very bad IMO as the masters knowledge will be lost forever.

uplink
    Free Member

Just tell him you're not happy & going back to scrounging off income tax payers

spooky_b329

Whats so wrong with six months?! Legitimate reason for leaving, college and career change.

alexonabike

Yes, The course I am doing will lead to a career that I could go self-emplyed in, but it is not what I intend to do at this stage.

Why? Circumstances change you know!? People move around!

tails
    Free Member

csb – Are you a recruitment agent?

zokes
    Free Member

Good to know you're rejecting their CV for good valid business reasons then 😯

zaskar
    Free Member

6 months? hell I've worked during student years on 6 month contracts.

I think you need to talk to your boss and about what makes you unhappy and training up a replacement asap if you want to leave.

Also don't forget it is a tough world now with not many jobs.

Life is too short to be unhappy.

alexonabike

Cheers, My sentiment entirely. Life's too short, etc.

hora
    Free Member

Not soo quick fella. Are you a trainee ancient swordsmith?

TooTall
    Free Member

CV for alex

Student
    Work – didn't like it, scared, left quickly
    Student

Pretty good so far 😀 That'll see you well in later life!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I'd make sure you're very sure of your next career move. 6 months isn't a problem CV wise. however, a string of jobs where you last 6 months will start to look rubbish.

So whatever you do, make sure you'll be happy doing it for a few years.

And good luck!

p.s. WRT resigning, just do it. Don't mean to piss on your chips, but I've yet to see a manager cry themselves to sleep because a guy who's been there six months is resigning. He'll understand, and if he doesn't, well it doesn't matter, cos you're off anyway!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Since day one I have not enjoyed the job, 6 months in and I still don't.

Welcome to the real world. I've felt like that for 20 years, but it pays the bills and buys a new bike now and then. MTFU!

alexonabike

Unfortunatly, I am not a swordsmith. Not yet anyway!

CV for alex

Student
    Work – didn't like it, scared, left quickly
    Student

Sorry to burst your bubble, but my CV is actually pretty good. Ta.

jacksta
    Free Member

Get a job first

I started looking for another job after 6 months of my first job out of Uni. Wasnt a problem, just explained to prospective employers that after 6 months the job wasnt what I was promised etc etc BUT you should make sure that the next job is one you will keep for a good amount of time (2 years+) or is different enough for you to justify ie in my case I went from a small company with limited opportunity to a large one with a structured grad programme. Ended up with 5 jobs in 2 years but on CV was same company and promotions each time…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can you be more specific about what it is that you don't enjoy?

And does anyone need an aprentice swordsmith? That sounds like a cool job!

hora
    Free Member

Welcome to the real world. I've felt like that for 20 years, but it pays the bills and buys a new bike now and then. MTFU!

On that angle I agree. Dont become a professional student. you'll still have to start at the bottom..

although…if you are truly not happen- why stay? You only live once.

TooTall
    Free Member

alexonabike – Member
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but my CV is actually pretty good. Ta.

Apart from 'willingness to actually work for a living' 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Haven't we done this one before???

Good stuff your going back to college re-training etc.

Everyone makes mistakes with career choices, I did, left my previous job after 7 months, had offers for many interviews, now at a compnay where I'm really happy (no career change).

Everyone giving you grief above is probably slightly envious that they have too many financial commitments to do a similar thing themselves.

To answer your question… be honest and polite.

alexonabike

haha!

I'm not jaded yet and do think it is possible to enjoy what you do for a living. If you don't you are in the wrong line of work.

Cheers Yeti.

toys19
    Free Member

I can see this from both sides. You do need to face up to the fact that work sucks, even working for yourself sucks at times.

Are you sure you are not unhappy just because its work? How do you know that your new career will be any better?

Why don't you consider changing the way you think about work. I once stayed in a job for 3 years which I always swore I hated just by getting the wife to remind me that I could leave the job any time if I wanted to. I used to say eff it all I'm resigning tomorrow, sleep well and then thick oh well I'll give it a few more days.. It was a good job and good for my career when I eventually moved on.

alexonabike

I understand that work can be a drag. I get that.

I have been spending some time volunteering in the line of work I hope to move into so I understand what's involved.

Anyway – I think we are getting a bit OT, I just asked what is the best way to resign in an honourable manor.

tron
    Free Member

I personally wouldn't resign to go to college at the moment. I finished uni a couple of years ago, got a job, got deleted fairly early in the recession along with something like 50% of the firm's bottom two rungs.

Now I'm most of the way through a Masters that I thought would see me through until things picked up, and there's still F all out there, major firms are still cancelling their grad intakes etc.

I'd only pack in if you had another job to go to.

jon1973
    Free Member

I think if you're young, without too many commitments or dependents, it's not unreasonable to find a job that you enjoy doing. You don't have to be stuck in a job you hate until you drop dead.

You can always talk around short periods of employment. Just say it was a contract 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Further to polite and honest.

Do it face to face, say there is nothing he can do to change your mind, thank him for everything he's done for you. Then go and write the formal letter.

Expect him to be a bit pissed, accept that you've been a little selfish, and suck up any criticism.

nedrapier

I just asked what is the best way to resign in an honourable manor.

Have a chat, tell him what you're thinking, give him a chance to change your mind. If he doesn't, let him know he hasn't, and why, then hand in your formal resignation letter.

After that, your resignation letter then doesn't have to say too much: "With regret, I have taken the decision to resign from company x with effect from xx/xx/xxxx. I appreciate the opportunities offered me, … learnt a great deal… but feel that I need to explore direction y… will finish my projects over notice period…"

Pretty much what I did on Monday!

Good luck,

Ed

nedrapier

The Southern Yeti – Member
    Further to polite and honest.

Do it face to face, say there is nothing he can do to change your mind, thank him for everything he's done for you. Then go and write the formal letter.

Expect him to be a bit pissed, accept that you've been a little selfish, and suck up any criticism.

should have refreshed before I started to reply!

What he said ^.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If I saw a succession of sub 1 year "permanent" jobs, I would be concerned. But one like this would not, in itself, put me off if the applicant was open in explaining their reasons for moving on. Not all employments work out; the reasons for moving on are complex.

Is it the job or the work you dislike? E.g. my job is good, but about half the work I'm not keen on, the other half is fine. It's not bad enough to consider moving on.

Golden rule of employment: secure another job before leaving this one.

tails
    Free Member

Golden rule of employment: secure another job before leaving this one.

So much easier said than done. 😡

ourmaninthenorth

Much the same way as doing it in a dishonourable manor, I should think. Postcode has very little to do with it. Unless you're in the East End of London, in which case just be careful whose manor you are on.

😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

Not soo quick fella. Are you a trainee ancient swordsmith?

This is very good. 🙂

alexonabike

I dislike both the industry and the job and associated sectors. That is why I am cutting all ties (inc. my degree) and retraining in a totally different sector.

I am in the process of securing a PT job to help fund me through the year at college. It was my aim to wait until that was confirmed before handing in my notice.

jon1973
    Free Member

Write the resignation on your knob and wave it in his face.

Harry_the_Spider

1)Get his wife/daughter drunk.

2)Write your resignation on her ass.

3)Take a picture.

4)E-mail it to everyone at work.

Should do the trick but you may struggle for a reference.

HTH

hels
    Free Member

Look at it the other way – if they needed rid of you to save money do you think they would worry that all your eggs were in their basket ? Just be honest and give the guy plenty notice. I started a contract once where they had me on a one week notice period. I queried it at the start as it seemed a bit short, one needs time to sort ones affairs. They refused to lengthen it, then got quite put out when I quit and held them to it…

Edric64
    Free Member

honourable manor.

Are you a trainee butler in a large house then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Resignation’ is closed to new replies.