Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Residents possessive of public roads
  • midlifecrashes

Got to be enough Aberdonian STWers to organise a flashmob wheelie bin and cone dance event, Shirley?

hora
    Free Member

Heres a sort of OT story. Local small swimming baths, I’m happily swimming away doing lengths. In climbs an old retired bloke (probably 65ish/6foot)- swims straight at me and roughly bodily shoves me sideways. I immediately stop and stand up and say ‘hey why’? Life Guard wanders across and says ‘thats his spot’, every day at the sametime he swims in that spot. We’ve tried talking to him but he just swears and shouts at us so we don’t bother anymore’.

At that point I gave up and got out.

D0NK

I bet those very same people would be the first to complain and do an angy-face pose in the local paper

hmm angry because….?
    speeding drivers?
    Slow drivers?
    No drivers?
    parking restrictions?
    lack of parking restrictions?
    smoking ban?
    lack of smoking ban enforcement?
    duty on booze?
    some one shat in all my decorative planters?

Checks link….ooooh wouldn’t have guessed.

binners

Did you have your Speedos on?

flicker
    Free Member

hora – Member

One road up from us- every car keyed that parked in a 20metre stretch. Last week I popped home at lunchtime and decided to leave the car there literally for 20mins… keyed.

Its one house. Im guessing its the old couple/bloke behind it. Luckily mine was only lightly keyed- rubbed out with finger pressure.

I’d be quite unhappy about that, and I’m afraid if I knew who had done it then I’d have to be in a very good mood not to dole out some vengance.

If you’ve ever seen the Mr Bean episode where he paints his room with a tin of paint and a firework…

Paint filled balloon, tyre inflator CO2 canister, letterbox…..

binners

hora
    Free Member

flicker I completely forgot. I went home in a hurry only remembered/realised as I approached the drivers door…stupid of me to assume that the car I’ve paid numerous taxes on to be on public roads has unseen lines of demarcation.

binners

Are we talking about hypothetical vans or Speedo’s now?

hora
    Free Member

binners if I was in speedo’s he’d have seen the outline of my beautiful schlong.

brooess
    Free Member

Am I the only one who thinks maybe there are just too many cars on the roads if it’s creating this much conflict?

If everyone cycled a bit more often the problem wouldn’t exist…

binners

Or… If you banned people from working more than 3 miles from where they live, that’d work too. Or started randomly zapping cars with massive laser beams, or shrink rays. Or published a list of first names, picked at random each day, of the people allowed to use their cars that day. Or if you went round in the night and simply removed one wheel from every car…

flicker
    Free Member

binners – Member

..Chuck..

Meh.
    Not going to turn the other cheek, you’re welcome to slink off into the distance muttering to yourself if you wish.

You’re going to get nowhere trying to talk to people who are prepared to spend their days vandalising cars either.

Lifer
    Free Member

hora – Member

Heres a sort of OT story. Local small swimming baths, I’m happily swimming away doing lengths. In climbs an old retired bloke (probably 65ish/6foot)- swims straight at me and roughly bodily shoves me sideways. I immediately stop and stand up and say ‘hey why’? Life Guard wanders across and says ‘thats his spot’, every day at the sametime he swims in that spot. We’ve tried talking to him but he just swears and shouts at us so we don’t bother anymore’.

At that point I gave up and got out.

The one situation where playing water polo has any benefit. Unless you’re in a water polo match.

binners

Do you wear a costume when you dole out your righteous retribution?

flicker
    Free Member

Can’t remember doling any out to be honest, apart from mild sarcasm when asking a lardarse if my car was in the way when they bashed my door with theirs.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ian Walker has an interesting take on this:

Yes quite thought-provoking.

My old philosophy tutor claimed that the way everyone pretty much respected cars and their contents as personal property and not to be interfered with was quite an unusual social convention.

I didn’t get it at the time, but it is a bit weird that we leave these really expensive things outside on their own and they generally don’t get mucked about with. There’s nothing else quite like it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are there any other hypothetical local parking situations you’ve given much thought too?

I think we’re going to have to start making up hypothetical dilemmas for Hora. I’ll start…

Someone’s parked a large minibus so far onto the pavement that you have to push your child’s pram out into the road to get around it. It’s not a main road but there’s a reasonable amount of traffic.

The vehicle belongs to a special needs school and you suspect the kids might be visiting a nearby attraction.

hora
    Free Member

The vehicle belongs to a special needs school and you suspect the kids might be visiting a nearby attraction.

Local window manufacturers?

flicker
    Free Member

snigger

martib

Gary M

Nothing childish at all, my point was that for whatever reason (and the list could have been endless, these just popped into my head) that some individuals believe that they are above the law/more important than others, they do not care about or respect other people. A sad state of society in the UK today. 😉

sbob
    Free Member

benz – Member

Sadly some residents seem intent in protecting stretches of road outside their homes by placing empty wheelie bins on the road

Complain to the local council about wheelie bins being left out.
    They will send someone out to photograph the offending items (if they’re like my local council) and will notify the keepers of said bins that if they are left out they will be fined.

That’s what happened to me after I left one of my bins out so the local kids could use it as a goalpost.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t think people who buy their home, as one example you used, correlates with people thinking they are above the law or more important. And is it just ‘big expensive cars’ or small ones too? And what’s ‘expensive’?

It was just a silly statement.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Every Wednesday afternoon some bloke parks his massive yellow library bus right outside my house. I retaliate by sending my feral children on to talk to him.

Cougar

Ring the council, tell them you want them to throw the book at him.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Consider it done!

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Residents possessive of public roads’ is closed to new replies.