• This topic has 38 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ji.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Resident Parking Rules
  • tortoisenothair
    Free Member

Advice needed please.

The parking in our residential St have always been territorial to say the least.

Picture the scene.

Between my driveway drop curb and next doors there is a small stretch of about 6ft of Normal curb I have a motorcycle permanently parked there to prevent a car trying to park in this space making it difficult for me and next door from using our drive’s.
    We park a car in the drive and then I park across the drive, so all is good with the world.

A resident who has chosen to buy a house without a drive has decided we need residential parking.
    My problem is will I need to buy a permit for the motorcycle (I think so) & will I be allowed to still park across my drive and if so will it need a permit.

I have tried a to google resident parking rules to no eval.

Anyone know?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have a motorcycle permanently parked there

You lost my sympathy at this point.

druidh
    Free Member

If the bit of curb really is only 6ft long then I’d expect that it would NOT be marked as a parking bay for a car. Therefore, ask for it to be marked as a parking bay for a couple of motorcycles.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    franksinatra

I have a motorcycle permanently parked there to prevent a car trying to park in this space

And at this point, I’m oot.

McHamish
    Free Member

If the parking is going to be residents permits then you’ll need a permit, for any vehicle you want to park there.

I have little time for people who ‘reserve’ spaces they feel they are entitled to. One of our neighbours does it with traffic cones.

Why don’t you pay the council to extend the drop curb?

wwaswas

they may well have to put double yellows across all drives and draw bays so they can enforce any new parking rules.

MartynS

Only the council can put in place an enforceable residents parking scheme.

You couldn’t have a private scheme on a public road.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not much sympathy here either. You’ve ‘taken’ a space from the road because of your drop kerb AND you want to stop people parking legally on the public highway.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

1/ AFAIK it’s up to the local council to introduce resident parking or not so if no one else supports it it won’t happen.

2/ it’s a PUBLIC ROAD and therefore PUBLIC PARKING … no one “owns” the rights to any of it, you park where you can

3/ People who leave vehicles on roadsides to stop others parking there contributeto the problem of lack of parking.

4/ If parking permits are introduced then :-
    a/ YES , to leave the bike there you will need a permit for it
    b/ probably not, the council will more than likely place Yellow lines where parking is not allowed and white boxes where it is .
    c/ The permits are just that … permits to park in a zone, they do not garuntee you will be able to nor do they reserve a palce for any one

br
    Free Member

I’d suggest that you have a chat with the neighbour under the ‘be careful what you wish for’… As in you, him and everyone in the street will end paying £50 a year per car for a permit plus having to buy additional ‘visitor’ permits.

As for parking in the 6ft gap with your m/c, that seems reasonable unless its actually big enough for a Smart or the like.

If though the council do take notice, just fight it – a friend of mine (and their neighbour) did when the council tried to instigate it on their streets.

SamB
    Free Member

Resident’s parking sounds like a good thing for you… adding double yellow across your driveway means that people will get fined / towed if they block you or your neighbour in.

That’s gotta make your life easier, as you can keep the bike off the road instead of having to leave it out there all the time. Win-win, surely?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Surely it should be tortoise not hare?

Sandwich

Residents parking tends to run Monday to Saturday from 8am to 6pm round our way. Point out to your neighbour he’ll be no better off if his car is away from home at these times and £50 poorer to boot.

surfer
    Free Member

towed if they block you or your neighbour in

I understood it is already an offence to block somebodies driveway if there is vehicle already on it (not if it is empty IIRC) so double yellow lines not required.

druidh
    Free Member

Correct

Sui
    Free Member

druidh – Member

surfer »
    I understood it is already an offence to block somebodies driveway if there is vehicle already on it (not if it is empty IIRC) so double yellow lines not required.

Correct

not sure that is correct, as i understand it’s an offence to block a dropped curb unless with owners consent (owner of driveway).

There are two types of dropped kerbs, those outside driveways allowing easy access to the residents of individual houses and those used for pedestrian crossovers.

The law basically says that you should not obstruct dropped kerbs unless you are obstructing a dropped kerb outside a house with the permission of the owner. Of course, obstructing any dropped kerb will cause inconvenience either to the owner of the property who cannot obtain access or egress from their property, or in respect of pedestrian dropped kerbs you can even cause danger to pedestrians, particularly the elderly, disabled and mothers with prams. The legislation which allows local authorities to issue Penalty Charge Notices to vehicles parked across kerbs is the Traffic Management Act 2004 and the London Local Authorities and Transport Act 2003. Parking across certain dropped kerbs is also contrary to Highway Code rule 243 which states:

footflaps

The only win is if your parking spaces are being used by tourists.

As a general rule, there is no limit on the number of permits offered with residents parking, so if the problem is too many resident’s cars, you only lose as you’ll pay for each permits, but it won’t solve the problem.

Sui
    Free Member

We also had the issue mooted in the road i live, and the view being that it would bring misery to the residents. I did however get a ticket (well i thought it was) whne my car was parked accross my drive, i chased plod down with the red rage, to find it was a “polite notice” not to park incosiderately – i said it’s my drive but they did’t seem to get it…

Taff
    Free Member

It’s a civil offence and not a legal offence if you block a driveway. I didn’t think motorbikes had to pay permits or for parking? Where would you stick it for one? They don’t pay for parking in car parks near me and definitely don’t have any permits

Taff
    Free Member

PS, in my area some driveways in resi estates have a white line across the drop kerb to prevent parking but these seem to be being removed slowly across the country. It’s perceived that an easement across the pavement should be obvious and common sense to other users

project
    Free Member

blocking a dropped kerb, could also stop a diosabled person from crossing the road at that point, and would probably result in ticket, as forthe bike being permanently parked there, is it fully insured and taxed and has an MOT, if not it may well disapear and be crushed.

Ever thought of buying one of those bikes Bradley Wiggins uses, the invisible ones to motorists.

footflaps

I like to reserve a space in the parking bay near my house. This is my current method:

600 Medium Density Concrete Blocks by brf, on Flickr

KonaTC

Fight the plan to introduce a permit scheme, leaflet the neighbours telling a permit will cost them £000+ a year to park in their street which is currently free. Also permit fee’s only go one way and that’s up and could affect the resale of their houses.

project
    Free Member

As above and tell the residents that for tradesmen to park outside their home if space is available the tradesman will need a permit from the councuil 10 quid a day in some cities, plus the time it takes to actually get one, then there is the parking fee.

and who gets all tyhe money your local council to waste .

bigyinn
    Free Member

I could be wrong, but in order to set up a public street, the residential parking order is applied by the council. However I did read that unless a large majority of the residents in the street were in favour of it, it can’t be applied.
    Whilst its a PITA you cant just park your m/c to keep the space free, so you’ll need to MTFU on that front, but people cannot block you or your neighbour’s driveways either.
    Whislt I see where you’re coming from I have history with a previous neighbour where there was no reserved on street parking. He deliberately parked in front of my home for a year and would swap one car for another as and when he needed to use the car. This was despite us having a newly born, asking him nicely not to park there and him having 3 cars in a 2 driver household. Twunt doesnt come close.
    So you should count yourself lucky you have a driveway to park in and leave it at that.

djglover
    Free Member

This has probably been mentioned above.

These schemes work when outsiders come to the area to park, tourists / commuters etc.

If it is to solve a local dispute then the best way to do that is to talk to each other about what you need / want.

I’ve just moved from London, where we had the first scenario and residents permist were a must have, to a small development where scenario 2 is very much in force, regular residents meetings etc…

tortoisenothair
    Free Member

Cheers all for your input I didn’t think my motorcycle would be so controversial.

But my main point / question was would I still be allowed to park a car across the drive?
    And as such because it is on the carriageway not private land would this need a permit.

thegreatape
    Surely it should be tortoise not hare?

As I am bold as a coot with male patten baldness this is a play on words.

Cheers all keep it coming….

druidh
    Free Member

If the space between the two drives really is only 6ft then parking your motorbike there seems like a sensible way to avoid any obstruction caused by a parked car.

If the street is marked as “residents parking” then you’ll not be able to park anywhere on the street without a permit.

mrchrispy

I’ve decided that the public road outside my house is actually mine and lined it with plant pots…it looks very pretty and has the added benefit of stopping other people parking there….winner!!!!

jota180
    Free Member

As I am bold as a coot with male patten baldness this is a play on words.

I always thought of a coot as a timid bird, certainly not bold 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

From the sounds of it, you’ll not get a rps but it depends on the policy of the local authority. when I used to write the legal orders for these (dull job) we would only put them in when less than 50% of dwellings had drive ways and the problem was due to non residents. Also, the problem needed to be 9 to 5 (roughly) as those were the only times the enforcement officers would visit suburbs.

In our schemes, bikes don’t need permits as they can’t be displayed securely.
    If it’s too small for a bay, it would get a single yellow line.
    All driveways would get a single yellow line otherwise anyone with a permit could park over it.
    The single yellow line would be the same days and times as the bays.

Drop kerbs to private drive ways can be enforced under current legislation as mentioned above so put the motorbike away please.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Isn’t your driveway big enough for the 2 cars?

Parking – people get so wound up about it!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

We are getting residents parking – but we live on a street with no driveways right near the center of town. We get shoppers and workers parking here to avoid paying the parking costs in the main carparks.

Going to be a godsend if it sorts the problem out!

tron
    Free Member

Avoid getting a residents parking scheme if at all possible.

My Mum lives on a street near the centre of town, and 20 years or so ago, there was a residents parking scheme introduced. It was pretty handy as the street was 2 or 3 minutes walk from the centre of town, so if you went out at all during the day on Saturday, you’d come back to find that you couldn’t park anywhere due to shoppers.

20 years on, there’s still a residents parking scheme, but thanks to council rather than police parking enforcement, they’re now checking it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and it’s a royal pain as you only get a permit + a visitors permit. Very difficult if you have more than one vehicle you need to park on the stret. And if you have a few guests around on a weekend evening, you’re constantly worrying if some bod on a moped will turn up to give someone a ticket for parking in a half empty street.

I also lived in an area with a different residents parking scheme, where you bought books of visitor permits. You were still limited to one car per address, so as we had two cars we were constantly having to park in another area or pay to park on our own street.

It’s basically volunteering to be taxed for parking and to be stressed out whenever you have visitors or trades in. I’d never go for it unless you live slap bang on top of a shopping area.

russ295
    Free Member

The resident can’t decide, it should go to a vote, at least that’s what happened in my street. I live in a mix of 20 flats and houses. Three have drives, me included.
    When the scheme came out we were allowed max 3 permits (zero car/zero permit – 3 cars/3 permits) and a visitor, all free, these could be swapped to different vehicles even though they had the reg no on.
    The council painted parking bays, my street is very narrow, they left about a 3ft space in the middle of the road? Came back a few weeks later and painted them black. We now have lines across the entrance and exit of the street.
    The permit had to be renewed every year. After the first year all the permits issued ran out on the 31st of July. The wardens issued 7 tickets at 8am on the first of August to residents ( me included ) for expired permits.
    Last year they council decided to allow 1 free permit and a visitor permit but if you wanted extra it was £20 per year and none of these were transferable. So now I have to pay to park outside my house.
    You will need a permit to park across your drive as relitaves have had tickets for the doing so.
    What pee’s me off tho, I live next to a park and sat afternoon and Sunday when the parking are off duty, it a free for all!

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

£50 a year?

Cardiff its £5

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

In my experience permits start off free and then get small admin charges added, then get price increases and then are simple expensive. Visitors permits follow a similar pattern.

We are allowed one permit per driver up to a maximum of two per household. I applied for mine without issue.

When I applied for the wife’s I was refused because I owned the car, not her. I suggested that my wife might want to be able to park my car which she might be using and was told that I would have to sell the car to her so it was registered before they would give her a permit.

Not too much of a problem as we have a driveway but STUPID bureaucratic rules and makes shuffling 3-4 cars about a nuisance

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

and makes shuffling 3-4 cars about a nuisance

firstworldproblems.com

🙂

ji
    Free Member

Also hate residents schemes. Used to visit someone living in one, where the visitor tickets were only valid for a maximum of 10 hours. So you couldn’t park and then go out for a day and evening, as the ticket would expire and you got a fine.

The visitor tickets were £10 each as well. Not good when relatives came to stay for a week!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Resident Parking Rules’ is closed to new replies.