Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Resetting a HTC One S
  • ElShalimo

My phone is increasingly crap, locks up, slow response times etc.
    I assume a factory reset will help. So what’s the best way to do this without losing my contacts, photos etc?
    Are there any apps I can install to help with this task?
    Or is the whole thing a fools errand?
    Thanks

stumpy01

Presumably if you’ve got an Android phone you are using Google to store your contacts? So if you log into your GMail account and go to Contacts you should be able to check that all of your contacts are there. When you reset and put your Google account info back into the phone, your contacts will automatically be pulled through.

A list of all apps previously installed will be available in the Play Store. Last time I reset my phone, it automatically pulled through the apps that were installed.

Depending on how old the phone is (and what version software is on it) there should be a ‘back up and restore’ option in the settings menu.

The one thing I forgot to back-up was text messages, I think. So it lost all of those, but I wasn’t too fussed.

I don’t think that photo’s are deleted with a factory reset, but probably best to check this with a quick google search before taking my word for it.
    You can normally choose to store pics taken on the camera in the internal memory or the SD card. I always choose SD card as factory reset normally leaves these well alone.

acidchunks

You should be able back up your phone contacts to your Google account.

edit. Beaten to it

ElShalimo

Thanks Stumpy
    No SD card just internal memory, so need to do some form of backup I guess.

Did the reset improve the performance of the phone ?

stumpy01

Hmmm. Both Android phones I’ve had (HTC Desire and Sony Xperia T) have had SD cards and one of the first things I do is change the camera storage to the SD card. So, can’t really help there, regarding photo back-up. Can you not plug your phone into a laptop/computer (it should show as a USB drive) and just drag all the images into a temporary folder that you can put back once you’ve reset the phone.

I think my phone runs a bit better since doing the reset, although I have got a feeling that part of the problem was loads of random apps that I had installed.
    I have since taken loads of stuff off the phone and cleared out two years worth of photos that I didn’t really need on there.
    I also make sure that I regularly clear out the internet history & cache. Surprising how much that can mount up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Resetting a HTC One S’ is closed to new replies.