Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • "Rescuing" a dying laptop
  • Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Right, I have tried everything, and my laptop is dying. I’m running out of ways to diagnose what is wrong.

Its a 2011 HP G42 (2.1GHz, 4GB Ram).vThe main problem is that after about 15 minutes, CPU usage goes up to 100% and won’t come back down, even when I close all programs/non-essential services/background apps etc.

I’ve run every kind of antivirus scan I know about, used CCleaner, removed all the start up programs I don’t need. I don’t know what else to do.

I don’t want to reinstall windows, as I have a lovely copy of Adobe CS5 that I got from my old employer that I won’t be able to replace.

Any suggestions?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Not full of fluff is it?

wwaswas

If you look in task manager what’s using the resources? You should be able to see individual services etc and work out what it is.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

If you look in task manager what’s using the resources?

Windows explorer (explorer.exe) is using all the resources. I can’t exactly close that one down…

trail_rat
    Free Member

My works laptop did this

Solution was to bin it and get a new one due to the gpu having died apparently.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Win7? Anything in event viewer or reliability monitor? (perfmon /rel)

logical
    Free Member

Wipe windoze and put Ubuntu or Xubuntu linux on it. 🙂 Much better 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Ditch windows and use linux

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Please will someone remind me what you go into to manage start up programmes?

fingerbike
    Free Member

msconfig

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

cheers

leffeboy

Try the following:

Switch off search indexing (you can switch it on again if that isn’t it)

Uninstall and then reinstall your AV soft (yes, that theoretically should make no difference but I have found it often does)

Safe mode boot – if the problem doesn’t appear in safe mode then you really know that the problem lies with software rather than your machine

process explorer (from Microsoft http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) can sometimes do a better job than task manager at telling you what is causing the problems

Good luck

Greybeard
    Free Member

I did a search for “explorer.exe 100 cpu” and found lots of hits. The most promising seems to be a corrupt avi file causing the problem. See post #15 in http://club.myce.com/f3/explorer-exe-causes-100-cpu-usage-74137/#.UHxkyGewWDM

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘"Rescuing" a dying laptop’ is closed to new replies.