Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Requiem For A Dream: It doesn't have a happy ending, does it?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

🙁

Just a feeling I’m getting. Can’t really see a happy Hollywood style conclusion to this one.

Tell me I’m wrong. Tell me someone will wake up, and it will all just have been a horrible dream….

I’m itchy.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Nope. It just gets worserer..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😥

loddrik
    Free Member

Cracking film though. Hands down the most depressing film I have ever seen. It’s like a downward spiral from the opening credits. Stayed with me for a few days too.

Kevevs
    Free Member

are you smashing your head trying to make it stop yet? MAKE IT STOP!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

But it did have a happy ending after all…

…didn’t it?

Please tell me it did. 😥

PhilipMorris
    Free Member

There’s a “happy ending” round my house every time Jeniffer Connelly is on TV.

ComradeD
    Free Member

A**E to A**E!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not really appropriate Tillip. 😕

Requiem makes Trainspotting look like an episode of the Teletubbies.

I’ve put off watching this film for a while, as I knew it wasn’t a ‘feelgood’ movie. By eck it’s harrowing. No ‘Perfect Day’ here… 😯

Bloody good bit of cinema though.

chewkw
    Free Member

ComradeD – Member

A**E to A**E!

😯

organic355
    Free Member

Darren Aronofsky is a great director, requiem fir a dream, pi, the fountain, the wrestler and now black swan.

Pi is also worth watching for the WTF moment at the end!!

anagallis_arvensis

Havent seen it for a while but my take is the end at least shows some hope, although you couldnt call it happy.

Other thoughts, Jeniffer Connelly is breath takingly pretty.

Clint Poppy is also a great composer!

organic355
    Free Member

Clint poppy? You mean Clint mansell?

Kahurangi

I like the ending. Like how the protagonists are all in a nice comfy bed, cosy in the foetal position, thinking of their happy place…

right…?

😐

p.s. pi is awesome, The Fountain – not.

iDave
    Free Member

Try watching ‘Happiness’ next – it’s like ‘happy’, but different

anagallis_arvensis

Clint poppy? You mean Clint mansell?

all songs written by Vestan Pance

Speeder

Thought it was awful myself, not sure how anyone could call anything that depressing a “good film” but hey that’s me.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I once watched Requiem for a Dream, Dancer in the Dark and Lilya 4-ever in one week. It’s a good job I didn’t watch Grave of the Fireflies as well, I think that would have just broken me. :s

IanMunro
    Free Member

Haven’t watched it, but love the music composed for it.

organic355
    Free Member

all songs written by Vestan Pance

err, no.

Vestan Pance is not an actual person, rather a joke psudonym (“Vest and Pants”) created for songwriting credits for the group Pop Will Eat Itself (Clint Mansell, Adam Mole, Graham Crabb, Richard March, Fuzz Townshend). Each member tends to write their own parts, and usually contributes to every song. The name was created as an alternative to simply crediting themselves as a band repeatedly.

The soundtrack to R4AD was composed by Clint Mansell and performed by the Kronos Quartet.

p.s. pi is awesome, The Fountain – not.

The fountain is one of my favorite movies!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thought it was awful myself, not sure how anyone could call anything that depressing a “good film” but hey that’s me.

Cinema can be a great vehicle for escapism, and in an otherwise fairly mundane existence, it’s sometimes nice to have something positive and happy to watch, but Cinema is also an art-form; would the world of art be better if we only had nice happy pictures? Sometimes we need the odd bit of frightening stuff to remind us of our own mortality, and maybe consider our short time on this lump of rock just a little more…

I thought the montage of what was happening to the different characters was very disturbing indeed, and brilliantly done.

A truly remarkable film, imo.

anagallis_arvensis

Vestan Pance is not an actual person, rather a joke psudonym (“Vest and Pants”) created for songwriting credits for the group Pop Will Eat Itself (Clint Mansell, Adam Mole, Graham Crabb, Richard March, Fuzz Townshend). Each member tends to write their own parts, and usually contributes to every song. The name was created as an alternative to simply crediting themselves as a band repeatedly.

no, really?

I reserve the right to call him Clint Poppy, its what we used to call him in The Mitre when I was a lad.

Creg

Great film. Well filmed, well acted and a fantastic soundtrack.

I’ve loaned the DVD to a few friends and they have all said it is a very sobering watch.

Pi and The Wrestler are also very good indeed.

_tom_
    Free Member

One of those films that’s great, but I would never want to see it again.

Kahurangi

Grave of the Fireflies

Now that is a quality, if heartbreaking piece of cinema. I don’t think I’ll ever watch it again 🙁

The fountain is one of my favorite movies!!

Maybe I watched it in the wrong frame of mind. I hadn’t heard of it, didn’t know who it was by or what it was like. I just know it was a bit tough to hang on to and I wasn’t digging it. It’ll be worth a second go though.

CountZero

I’ve heard Grave Of The Fireflies is pretty downbeat, really don’t think I could watch it now.
    There was that Hollywood period when a whole bunch of films came out, ElectraGlide In Blue, Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, Vanishing Point, Easy Rider, Midnight Cowboy, where the ‘hero’ gets offed at the end. Me and a mate took our GF’s to see Easy Rider and Midnight Cowboy as a double bill one afternoon years ago. Never made it through the first film, the girls were too depressed.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Fantastic film, the book is way better and pulls you into it much more

Pieface

Parts of the Montage at the end, along with the near final scene of ‘This is England 86’ nearly made me turn the TV off.

Kahurangi

I’ve heard Grave Of The Fireflies is pretty downbeat, really don’t think I could watch it now.

It’s really good. Go watch it. Just don’t be surprised if it doesn’t have a happy Holywood ending.

I don’t think any of my favourite films have ‘happy’ endings, it too often seems forced.

edhornby

Try watching ‘Happiness’ next – it’s like ‘happy’, but different

+1 a great ensemble piece

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Requiem For A Dream: It doesn't have a happy ending, does it?’ is closed to new replies.