Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Reproofing tent – quick question
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve just used my Super Quasar for a week, it rained constantly and we were packing it/pitching it/striking it wet for the most part.

I didn’t find any wet spots, and it’s all been cleaned and dried properly now.

Is it worth reproofing the flysheet in readiness for the winter camping season, or given that it’s still performing as it should is this sort of “maintenance” pretty pointless?

I spoke to Terra Nova and they were of the opinion it “wouldn’t do any harm”, but to be honest, I can’t be bothered going to the effort if the benefit is minimal!

Any experiences?

Also, can’t praise the Quasar enough, 7 days in rain and wind and the inner barely even got damp, even managed to get around the whole inner pitched first issue quite easily.

Bought a couple of Skyehigh 800’s from Alpkit too, cracking bags (although not been tested in anger yet!). Got a left and right hand zip so they could be zipped together, works a treat! Quite surprised how roomy it is with 2 zipped together.

wwaswas

I recently reproofed my Phoenix Phreak after about 15 years of use.

The water certainly beads and rolls off more now so it does dry out more quickly before you pack it away.

Stoner
    Free Member

after only a week’s use it’s really not necessary.

Striking wet isnt really a problem as long as you give it a chance to air and dry properly as soon as you can. It wont knacker the waterproofing. I think UV and time are a bigger problem.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother

dyls

I wouldn’t bother neither. As said its age and UV exposure that seems to affect the proofig.

footflaps

Not that I camp much any more, but I’ve never reproofed a tent and never had one leak in years of outward bound activity using TNF and Macpac tents inc loads of winter camping.

peterfile
    Free Member

cheers guys 🙂

just need to work out how to get the smell of farts out of my sleeping bag and then everything is good to go for winter wild camping!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Reproofing tent – quick question’ is closed to new replies.