Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Reproofing Jackets
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I have a few soft shell and hard shell jackets that need reproofing but no tumble drier at home – what is the best method/product to use?

Cheers

PL

variflex
    Free Member

Ive just used the nikwax reproofing for soft shells. Will be out in the jacket tonight so will let u know if it works. GORE and others endorse the stuff.

djglover
    Free Member

I think the tumble dryer is a key part of the process. Launderette?

d45yth
    Free Member

Spray-on rather than wash-in…wash-in can restrict the breathability of Goretex, etc.(IMHO), others may disagree. I think you can use an iron on a low heat if you haven’t a drier too.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

wash in nick wax

FuzzyWuzzy

Granger’s XT Reproofer (spray on) doesn’t need tumble drying and works for me, just wash the jacket using liquid soap flakes, spin cycle it, hang it up on a coat hangar and spray it whilst it’s still a bit damp (if you let it dry out first much more of the spray just runs off).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Someone was on about a proofing washer that didn’t cost a fortune, anyone remember it?

mooman
    Free Member

Thompsons waterseal.(not Thompson waterseal ULTRA)
    Stinks for a day or two … but works fantasically.

buck53

My girlfriend has worked in outdoor shops for years and swears by spray on proofer rather than wash in.

We use the TX Direct stuff, once the jacket is mostly dry pit it on an airer by a radiator or run a low iron over it for the best result.

In my experience this will be as waterproof as originally but won’t last quite as long before wetting out and needing doing again. Still lasts for months though.

Pieface

AFAIK eVent should not be tumble dried.

BadlyWiredDog

Most modern reproofers don’t absolutely need heat treating, though they work better if you do. if the care label allows, you can iron carefully. Don’t iron over reflective trim though as you’ll kill it.

konabunny
    Free Member

Would all of those sprayon waterproofers also work for tents? Got a big old Walmart tent that we use in summer that could do with a coating.

jools182
    Free Member

its never works as well as the original coating

tried nikwax and grangers, with and without tumble drying

best results were with grangers, but still not like they were when new

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Reproofing Jackets’ is closed to new replies.