• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by geneharp-spam.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Reprogramming Ford keys
  • matt_outandabout

According to the manual there is a way of programming a key to the car. Does this mean I can buy any suitable Ford key and reprogrammed it myself?
    But is it a dealer job to cut the metal, so that it fits lock barrel, or will any key place be able to do it?

Yours, a VW/Seat owner for the past 17 years….

RustyNissanPrairie

“Blue” keys are dealer or independent garage programming only-no DIY I’m afraid

stuey
    Free Member

With my old Galaxy – you could only get the car to program a new key IF you had both original keys – no good if you’ve lost one.

I got a key cut from a photo at carkeyhelp.co.uk £12ish
    – and a shoe repair/lock smith place put a chip in it and copied the code for £30.

They couldn’t generate a ‘master key’ – just copies.

stuey
    Free Member

edit – said local locksmith didn’t have the right ‘blank’ in stock- ‘else they could of done the whole job. 🙂

Cougar

On my old Scorpio you could pair keys in the car. You used a good key to switch the ignition between two positions (0 and 1? I don’t remember exactly) about a dozen times, the car went ‘bing,’ you put the blank in and turned it, it went ‘bing’ again, job jobbed.

Whether such tricks work on modern cars, I don’t know.

matt_outandabout

So the manual says the ignition back and forth between 1 and 2, four times thing.

We have three keys – one “plipper” and two manual. We have already triggered the alarm with the manual keys, so another plopped would be good…

Northwind

There’s 2 stages to it with mine (55 mondeo), I’ve coded a replacement remote (and a spare) but I don’t know of any way to do the transponder- so I can open the car with the spare remote, but I can’t start it. Better than nothing, and useful if you’ve got a broken key like I had.

Sounds like it’ll do what you want though and the remotes cost buttons. You might be able to get your manual key combined into a remote fob, no clue about that.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Do these for a living, a lot depends on age of vehicle too, several different types of chips have been used over the years, we can now clone any of the Ford Texas chips, for certain years you can clone direct from the key, the more up to date the vehicle is also needed to complete the programming.
    Cutting of the key is the easy bit.

matt_outandabout

2006 Galaxy Mk3, blade key with three buttons…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Reprogramming Ford keys’ is closed to new replies.