Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reporting Dangerous Driving after you've sworn at the driver…
  • MrSynthpop
    Free Member

So a bus driver decided to drive through a red light and into a yellow hatched junction today, then through another red and a pedestrian crossing with a pedestrian on it (me) – I chased him down to the next stop and got on after the passengers to ask him what he thought he was doing. I deliberately stayed in the doors to avoid making it more confrontational than it had to be.

He immediately told me that he ‘knew what I was going to say” and to ‘leave it out mate’ because he ‘had every right to drive across as the bus was already across the line when the lights changed so just leave it”

The trouble was the bus wasn’t, it was stopped as there were cars turning right across the front of it before the lights changed, I watched it release the brakes and jerk forward while I was crossing, its a three lane road at that point and pretty wide so he reached me before I finished and i had to dodge out of his way.

Anyway he wasn’t interested and told me to ‘get lost mate’, unfortunately I snapped and swore at him as i got off (“go **** yourself mate”) partly out of adrenalin and partly out of rage at his completely dismissive attitude. He swore back then shut the doors

I feel like reporting this to the police, but my loss of cool is worrying me, he is unlikely to get any form of sanction (junction isn’t camera enforced) and it’ll be ‘he said she said’ but I definitely swore at him and I’m aware people can be theoretically cautioned for abusive language.

Any thoughts?

billytinkle
    Free Member

Buses are usually covered in cameras. Report to the operator to investigate.

wolly
    Free Member

Move on life’s full of idiots,

GrahamS

What billy said. Let his employer’s decide if it was reasonable.

Any report to the police be “He Said, She Said” without some independent witnesses, so it won’t go anywhere.

FWIW my car commute takes me past a bus station and the buses there pretty much always ignore the yellow hatchings and block a side junction as they queue for the lights. Mind you, 95% of the cars do likewise. Just another one of those “road rules” that seems to have become optional. 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

Go to Police, employer will do **** all, and swearing is not a crime.

Cougar

Telling people to -off isn’t illegal, driving through red lights is.

GrahamS

Pffft… you want to watch some Brit-Cops-With-Cameras-Wars.

Swearing? Public Order, Section 5 mate. You’re nicked. 😉

rwamartin
    Free Member

Nothing will come of the swearing.
    I don’t think anything will come of reporting it to the police because there is no independent evidence.
    Your best recourse is to the bus company. Explain the situation clearly and honestly and ask them to have a quiet word with the driver. This is likely to have the best outcome.
    Rich.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I think I’m going to follow the general theme here and talk to the bus company, I’ll report back how it goes

redthunder
    Free Member

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

He immediately told me that he ‘knew what I was going to say” and to ‘leave it out mate’

“I know what you’re going to say” = he knows what he’s just done and he knows he shouldn’t have.
    Report to Bus Co and Police. They might not do anything now, but…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Bus driver probably owns a jetski.

cynic-al
    Free Member

because there is no independent evidence

Bus camera?

rene59
    Free Member

My advice would be to avoid chasing people down to confront them in the first place, you don’t sound like you’re cut out for it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reporting Dangerous Driving after you've sworn at the driver…’ is closed to new replies.