Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Reporting an untaxed vehicle – would you?
  • wallop

Someone has left their untaxed car on our street. It’s not parked very well and they’ve made it difficult to pass on a narrow road.

Part of me wants to report it to the DVLA, but part of me doesn’t want to turn into the sort of person I always hated when I was younger 😆

Cast your votes!

jota180
    Free Member

We pay people to do that sort of thing, I’d leave it to them

hora
    Free Member

Just for the sake of? No.

If it was badly parked/obstructing you- yes.

rj2dj
    Free Member

The DVLA will already know it’s not taxed and be sending an automated letter to them to fine the registered owners for not SORNing it.

Reporting it to the DVLA won’t get it moved. If it’s actually obstructing the road (eg: Fire appliance couldn’t make it past) then report it to your local police.

EDIT: To say, if it is already SORNed and on the road (you have no way of knowing this) then the police might be interested.. but I feel it’s unlikely.

patriotpro
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Just for the sake of? No.

If it was badly parked/obstructing you- yes.

This.

wwaswas

report it. they probably have no insurance either.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Just reported a car parked opposite my house. Looks unsightly as its been involved in some kind of accident, parked badly, uninsured and untaxed. No tax since 2008 but its only appeared recently, which means someone has been driving an untaxed and uninsured car on the road. If its there past the end of the month, report it for sure. Its causing an obstruction and the owner clearly has no intention of moving it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

are you my neighbour who wants to reverse into my drive because you cant reverse into the space that is your drive without using most of mine ? (through inability to drive im not blocking owt 😉 )

if so then nah dont report it – its on sorn 😉

rocketman
    Free Member

Personally no – have got better things to do than cause grief for some random stranger

singletrackmind

You can search online to see if its insured
    MIDAS iirc
    No tax and no insurance means it will be crushed , eventually.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Could be stolen and dumped?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

have you checked the tyres for baldness ?

weeksy

Nope.. i wouldn’t.. i simply don’t car.

rj2dj
    Free Member

You can search online to see if its insured
    MIDAS iirc

Close, I think you mean this: http://www.askmid.com – technically you’re only supposed to check your own vehicle.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

one of my neighbours is driving his crappy old seat leon around with a disc that expired last august in his windscreen.
    every now and then i’ve considered reporting him for it simply because he parks very inconsiderately every couple of days or so.
    but, on the other hand, i’m not letting it worry me that much either.

wallop

It sounds like it wouldn’t achieve anything. *two thumbs*

butcher

My, there’s some curtain twitchers in here.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

will the insurance be valid if the car is not taxed – the insurance company will do everything it can to get out of a claim.

jota180
    Free Member

will the insurance be valid if the car is not taxed

yep

wallop

butcher – Member
    My, there’s some curtain twitchers in here.

😆

cupra
    Free Member

Well I reported one that had sat for weeks at the end of our cul de sac. It was parked about 3 feet short of the give way t junction at the end on the left hand side (illegal in itself?) meaning that to get out you had to drive on the wrong side of the road. I don’t know what happened but it had been moved / removed within 2 days and was not sorn’d. It was a hazard.

johnellison
    Free Member

rj2dj – Member

The DVLA will already know it’s not taxed and be sending an automated letter to them to fine the registered owners for not SORNing it.

Reporting it to the DVLA won’t get it moved. If it’s actually obstructing the road (eg: Fire appliance couldn’t make it past) then report it to your local police.

EDIT: To say, if it is already SORNed and on the road (you have no way of knowing this) then the police might be interested.. but I feel it’s unlikely.

The police won’t be interested unless the car has been reported stolen, is known to have been used in a crime or otherwise has a tag against it.

You should report it to your local (borough) council. They will fix a removal notice to the windscreen which gives the owner seven days to move it. If it hasn’t been moved by then, then the council become responsible for it and will/should impound it.

mt
    Free Member

They are tax dodgers, if it was Starbucks or Amazons car you would report them whats the difference. There is an MP needs a new wide screen telly, a carpet flown over from New York and Duck house.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’d dob ’em in.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’d imagine if it ain’t taxed it probably ain’t insured. And don’t these insurance dodgers push insurance up for everyone else?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

have you checked the boot for a body?

garage-dweller

I would dob.
    No VED maybe no insurance (validity issues or got none so cannot get VED).
    Maybe no MOT and therefore dangerous to other road users/pedestrians
    Why should they get away with not paying the more who get away with it the more has to be collected through other means.

butcher

Maybe no MOT and therefore dangerous to other road users/pedestrians

Assumptions aside, it’s not really a danger to anyone while it’s parked up.

Weasel
    Free Member

You could practice hot wiring it -looks so simple in the films, then park it somewhere else.

Or as above and leave it down the scrap yard, or use it for banger racing.

More importantly, how many bikes can you fit in it?

project
    Free Member

Quite a few areas round here are seeing cases of malicious ignition(arson) and one night this stupid idea is going to cost lives, especially with limited resourses of fire personnel to deal with them, as fire personel deal with arson, somebodies house may be burning down.

An other idea would be to print out a few flyers with someone who you dislikes phone number on it, and offer the car for sale at a reduced price.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Not taxing your car is quite difficult these days and you’ve only got 2 weeks leeway before you get fined.

If its not taxed for more than that its either registered at a false address and has no insurance/mot or its declared sorn and they’ve somehow managed to avoid the anpr checks (or they just aren’t displaying the disc)

I’d report it.

avdave2

I’m with mt. Interesting how many people don’t really care about tax evasion. I thought with all that fuss made over Starbucks etc everyone was dead against it.

billyboy
    Free Member

It might well belong to the f… w… b……d who used to employ me but failed to bloody pay me. He used to cheat everyone out of money including DVLC and his cars weren’t insured and it’s doubtful if he had a driving licence. Report the f….r at once.

scraprider
    Free Member

no tax + no insurance , then most of you will be crying into your coffee because hes just driven into your car and has no insurance etc etc, so yup report.

cheers_drive

How long has it been there? have you seen anyone use it?
    An old Volvo appeared on street I once lived in, it was very badly parked about 2ft from the curb. After 2 weeks I phoned the council are reported a possible abandoned car, they checked it out and had it removed.

SiB
    Free Member

Maybe it is taxed but valid tax not displayed (illegal in itself)? This is what my good wife did for 10 months as the new tax disc was lost and took a while to get replacement.

butcher

I’m with mt. Interesting how many people don’t really care about tax evasion. I thought with all that fuss made over Starbucks etc everyone was dead against it.

There’s tax evasion, and there’s leaving your car parked up unused for a few days, or even a month or two while you concentrate on paying the bills and feeding the kids.

wallop

How long has it been there? have you seen anyone use it?
    An old Volvo appeared on street I once lived in, it was very badly parked about 2ft from the curb. After 2 weeks I phoned the council are reported a possible abandoned car, they checked it out and had it removed.

Only a few days, but it looks kind of beaten up and dumped.

konabunny
    Free Member

Yes, sure. It’s not like reporting means it will be necessarily removed and crushed and the owner imprisoned anyway.

restless
    Free Member

I saw a car yesterday with a wheel clamp on and a big yellow sticker on the windscreen saying ‘untaxed vehicle’, so maybe this is what they do in some areas.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Reporting an untaxed vehicle – would you?’ is closed to new replies.