Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Reported dangerous driving – what will happen?
  • unknown
    Free Member

Just reported some idiots I saw on my drive home, a pair of old 3 series beemers doing repeated power slides around a roundabout. The police called me back to say they were with them now and asked exactly what I’d seen. Only saw one of them actually doing it but was able to confirm which of the two it was.

So what’s likely to happen? Presumably that’s not enough for a prosecution so do the police just issue a warning/talking to or go over the cars and hope to find a bald tyre or something to sting them with?

gwaelod
    Free Member

I expect they’ll get a slap on the wrist and an iTunes voucher

bradley
    Free Member

Nothing.

jimjam
    Free Member

I was doing burn outs for a scene in a film (true story), we had all the relevant permits and clearances etc but we neglected to tell the psni that we’d be doing said burnout. Apparently someone somewhere phoned the cops and complained. When they arrived they threatened to arrest me for breach of the peace.

Thankfully it didn’t come to that due to some slick talking by the producer. Maybe they’ll get a warning about breaching the peace.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nothing.

This, most likely.

unknown
    Free Member

Well hopefully the fact that the police turned up will at least make them think twice about doing it again.

chewkw
    Free Member

Nothing will happen … I bet.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Hopefully someone will get charged with wasting police time 🙂

singlespeedstu

a pair of old 3 series beemers doing repeated power slides around a roundabout.

Only saw one of them actually doing

Make your mind up…

Gary_C

What’s wrong with doing power slides then? Get a bloody life, o.p. FFS.

🙄

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s Xmas eve so not many cars in the street so let them do their own dangerous driving …

unknown
    Free Member

Every now and then I forget how sadly predictable this place is.

For clarity, this is was on a roundabout in a town not in the middle of nowhere. It was clear from the tyre marks on the road that they’d been going around and around and I suppose one of them might just have been watching but I’d bet if you came across the scene as I did I’d bet you’d have come to the same conclusion.

As for what’s wrong with power slides? Nothing, on a track, but on the public road it’s not acceptable. Frankly I’d rather the people who think it’s OK are taken off the roads at the first opportunity before some other aspect of their bad driving gets someone killed or injured.

chewkw
    Free Member

unknown – Member
    As for what’s wrong with power slides? Nothing, on a track, but on the public road it’s not acceptable. Frankly I’d rather the people who think it’s OK are taken off the roads at the first opportunity before some other aspect of their bad driving gets someone killed or injured.

Probably more likely to kill themselves …

However, the noise might get on my nerves especially when they are sliding. I don’t like noise, me.

thegreatape
    Free Member

They might get a Section 59 warning, which is a telling off but with consequences if they do it again. The fact that they rang you back to confirm which car and what they were doing makes me suspect this – no need to call you back if they were going to do nothing. Scuse the cut and paste (I’m busy helping the brewing industry)…

SECTION 59 OF THE POLICE REFORM ACT – ANTI SOCIAL DRIVING OFFENCES
    New laws in respect of certain anti social driving offences can now be dealt with by Section 59 of the Police Reform Act.

Basically what that means is if you are seen:

Driving in a careless or inconsiderate manner
    Driving on common land, a footpath or bridle way or any land which is not part of a road
    Driving in a manner which is causing/has been causing, or is likely to cause alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public.

Then a Section 59 warning can be issued to you. This warning is placed against both the driver and the vehicle and lasts for 12 months.

If the driver of the vehicle or the vehicle with the warning issued to it is then seen driving in any of those conditions again in the next 12 months the vehicle can be seized and, if not collected after paying for recovery and storage costs, it will be crushed. Please note that this relates to either the driver with the Section 59 or the vehicle.

singlespeedstu

Driving on common land, a footpath or bridle way

How about pushbikes on footpaths? 😛

thegreatape
    Free Member

**** if I know stu. I’m going to go for ‘that’s fine’ and you can say ‘a copper told me’ 🙂

singlespeedstu

I’ll remember and quote that on boxing day when all the once a year walkers are out. 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

I imagine that would complete their day!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I heard the following story recently. A troublesome youth was seen by a copper doing wheelies on a small motorbike in town one afternoon. He was warned about it and given a ‘Section 59’ notice. That evening he was seen by another copper doing wheelies on the main road out of town. A quick radio call confirmed the existing S. 59 and the motorbike was taken away on a recovery truck.

I believe that’s the system working as it was intended. The youth gets one warning, then his new toy is taken away from him. He’s still alive and intact, and may have learned something.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Words of advice I’d imagine!

easygirl

Sec 59 is the most probable
    Then will be recorded on pnc, if he does it again his car gets impounded

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Reported dangerous driving – what will happen?’ is closed to new replies.