Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)
  • Replica Tour Jerseys – yay or nay?
  • DT78
    Free Member

After having a couple of beers (excuse…) I find I’ve placed an order for 3 discounted tours jerseys – the black yorkshire TDF one, red vuelta leaders one, and the pink giro one…

I blame those adverts over there ——>

Secondly will I look like a prize tool wearing them?!

AD

Depends how fast you are… 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

I could be on a 100miler base building ride….

monkeychild
    Free Member

Thirdly like, who cares?? Wear whatever the bloody hell you like.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FKW.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

why not, if people sneer thats their problem. Unless its Sky/rapha kit then you deserve it 😉 Its no “worse” than an MTBer wearing all the on-trend bright enduro kit

I like the FDJ kit, happen to ride a Lapierre and have a soft spot for the team, and have just discovered replica jerseys are only 25 quid at decathlon, so I’ll be adding one to my collection. And as I climb like Tibault Pinot and descend better I’ll do it justice 😉

LMT
    Free Member

Wear whatever you feel like! On the charity ride I did last week one of the guys was in full team sky kit and another in saxobank (last years) they thought I was a bit odd in my Rapha Club jersey (although it was the team sky version).

People don’t tend to care much and if your comfortable while on the bike then just enjoy it.

Personally I quite like the Garmin Sharp kit, well I did until Alan Sugar was seen wearing it.

Lifer
    Free Member

Defunct teams or old kit only IMO, leaders/point/KOM/world champs (really want the orange Molteni Jersey but can’t because it has the rainbow bands 😥 ) all off limits – but not bothered what others wear. Brooklyn jersey next on the list.

Although the Lotto kit this year is mighty tempting.

sofatester
    Free Member

Secondly will I look like a prize tool wearing them?!

No, they’re nice looking jerseys.

Wear whatever the bloody hell you like.

This.

mudshark
    Free Member

Personally I quite like the Garmin Sharp kit, well I did until Alan Sugar was seen wearing it.

That’s the only team kit I wear – mainly because of David Millar. I do like the Europcar jerseys so might get one of those sometime; the only kit that seems wrong to me is Sky’s.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

leaders/point/KOM/world champs (really want the orange Molteni Jersey but can’t because it has the rainbow bands :cry:) all off limits

agree on world champs/nationals colours, should only be wearing em if youve earned em.

brakes
    Free Member

I don’t get that sentiment at all.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I don’t get that sentiment at all.

Fair enough. I just think wearing something which says “Im a national/world champion” is naff, unless I was. Not the same thing as wearing a trade replica kit which (potentially) shows your allegiance to a team, it represents superlative achievement. Personal choice/opinion/values- I wouldnt judge you for wearing one, but I wouldnt wear one.

krixmeister

Personally I don’t see any difference between wearing team kit, and wearing your favorite football team’s jersey.

But – since it is in The Rules that you should not (16 & 17), I never do:

The Rules

duntstick
    Free Member

This one would be more personally suited to me (can’t find one UK stock though)

hora
    Free Member

Saxo tinkoff please. Where from?

nickc

There’s any number of blokes in sky/lotto/garmin round here, and so what? If you like the colours or have a particular favourite, then knock yourself out. Like others, I wouldn’t wear yellow/gold/red/rainbow jerseys, but that’s just my sentiment, same as before; if you like the scheme (and there are some v nice ones) then go for it.

jonba
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy team kit purely because I could not wear it in races. I assume that is the reason it is looked down on. Basically you should nbe wearing your own club kit.

I wouldn’t wear a leaders or champions jersey because in my mind that is a bit like walking around with a replica Olympic medal around your neck.

Still, plenty of people buy team kit, some of it looks really nice and at the end of the year it can be had cheaply. I would probably mock a mate but if you just turned out to ride with me I would think nothing of it.

Maybe avoid the full kit and just stick with black shorts?

chakaping
    Free Member

New lotto one looks really cool, yeah.

Generally I’m not fussed what I or anyone else wears. Don’t think I could bring myself to wear the yellow or polka dot Jersey though.

Or sky kit.

prawny

No tdf leaders jerseys or national/world champs kit, the rest are fair Game IMO.

Only big fat fatties are allowed to wear polka dot jerseys, it’s the law.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Slightly off topic.

I just came back from my early morning ride through Norwich. Locals will know that we only have one hill here, known as Kett’s Hill. As I came up it today I passed a rather rotund cyclist pushing his Cervelo whilst wearing a rather “snug” fitting King of the Mountains jersey. It made me smile.

BadlyWiredDog

; the only kit that seems wrong to me is Sky’s.

Because Sky has done so little to promote and popularise cycling as a sport in this country? 😉

hora
    Free Member

I don’t see an issue with wearing it. I used to laugh about people looking like walking advertising hoardings but the same with your local club kit- everyone dressed the same. Seems abit sheepy. Why can’t you all wear individual stuff? On a mountain bike ride you don’t see riders identically kitted out.

jota180
    Free Member

Saxo tinkoff please. Where from?

China I would think

Either direct or via a retailer and a few middle men after they’ve ‘taxed’ it.

pondo

leaders/point/KOM/world champs (really want the orange Molteni Jersey but can’t because it has the rainbow bands ) all off limits – but not bothered what others wear.

+1

lemonysam
    Free Member

Personally I feel a bit daft riding around wearing massive advertising logos plus it does upset me when my team jersey has a bike brand which doesn’t match my bike…

That said though, I’ll happily buy them if they’re cheap.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Rule #16

I have less of a problem with pink, yellow, polka etc, as clearly anyone I see out wearing one of those hasn’t own it. But I often see people wearing uk national champs or British squad jerseys and I just don’t get it. The other day I even asked in good faith if a guy was training for the commonwealth games. He said no and then asked in a puzzled way why I thought he might be. He did look very ‘pro’ but it was his GB squad jersey that made me think he might well be GB squad. I think he felt a bit uncomfortable having been asked (and it was a genuine question).

Tom-B
    Free Member

nay from me. I wouldn’t be caught dead in Team Kit either, but that’s just me…..I get the whole it’s the cycling equivalent of wearing a footie top etc and some of them are nice looking kits. Winners jerseys though?! You wouldn’t wear a gold medal to your local running club would you 🙂

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t wear team kit or tour jerseys myself but each to their own I guess. That said I do feel that the World Champions and National Champions jerseys should only be worn by the person who has won it.

Ian

chakaping
    Free Member

You would need a thick skin to wear the world champs jersey I reckon, it’s just inviting “that Cav’s let himself go a bit” jokes.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Wear them.
    It’s a good way of telling who is likely to be able to hold a wheel properly, be liable to change direction randomly, half wheel you or not have any idea how to ride in a group.
    People in clubs wear club kit and usually have learnt how to ride in a group properly.

ads678

Only big fat fatties are allowed to wear polka dot jerseys, it’s the law

Get in!!

Runs off to find size small polka dot jersey…….

hora
    Free Member

People in clubs wear club kit and usually have learnt how to ride in a group properly.

I’ve seen groups of road riders in their own kit (mostly older riders) but still groups.

Its rare but when you see everyone in the same shirt I do think why? I know the bogtrotters do it off road but to feel inclusive you don’t need to wear a uniform.

davidjey
    Free Member

Re: polka dot/yellow/world champs stripes/any jersey you ‘earn’. If you would also be prepared to walk around wearing a replica olympic gold medal which you’ve bought in a shop, then they are for you.

mudshark
    Free Member

I rarely wear my club jersey – would only wear it on a club run anyway but the zip only comes down a fraction so I avoid it if likely to get hot.

imnotverygood

So do people feel embarrassed about wearing a yellow jersey which isn’t the yellow jersey? Or are cycling tops of a uniform yellow colour also a no-no?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the colour yellow is fine
    Imagining you won the TdF is not fine IMHO

FWIW i really like the polka dot jersey but unless you think you can live up to what it stands for I dont think you should wear it

YMMV

chakaping
    Free Member

So do people feel embarrassed about wearing a yellow jersey which isn’t the yellow jersey? Or are cycling tops of a uniform yellow colour also a no-no?

It’s quite a specific yellow, and any other jersey in that shade would be getting into knock-off territory anyway.

TiRed

I wear my club (and team) kit almost exclusively on the road. It advertises the club, looks smart, and the white long sleeved summer jersey protects me from the sun.

As mentioned, no leaders jerseys, but riding in a supporters kit says you support a team in some way. I rather like the OPQS kit and like Michal. Also team kit is normally very well made. The Champion Systems club kit we wear is the same as Lampre.

When racing off-road, I still wear my club kit – and we are a road club. It’s just to get the club noticed and “out there”.

One day i’ll have that Master’s Jersey.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Replica Tour Jerseys – yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.