Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replacing wooden frame roof with steel…
  • alexxx
    Free Member

We’ve got a barn leaning against our new property that has wooden a frame beams which are very undersized and have sagged so we want to replace them with some metal running the length of the building to have an open plan room….

Can anyone point me in the right direction for terminology or diagrams of this being done ?

Thanks

neilwheel
    Free Member

Roof structure terminology does not change with different materials. Best to talk to a structural engineer if you have any doubts.

wrightyson
    Free Member

When you say leaning what do you mean? The last a frame is against the house?

alexxx
    Free Member

Will be doing Neil thanks – but good to know – just wanted todo some gin and tonic googling.

I say leaning I mean attached with stone.. maybe not keyed in but the beams at the moment are set into the main building wall by a few inches.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Rafters are the slopes, ceiling joists or tie the flat bit, ridge the top bit, purlins support the rafter usually mid way up the slope supported at each end made out of a thicker/stronger material.
    All ^^ that’s very lamens terms btw.

slackalice
    Free Member

Photo’s please! I have a vision of some nice big section tie-beams, rafters and purlins right now!

Sagging you say? Are they riddled with rot? Potentially, with the right approach, the original roof trusses could enhance your desired space far more than some sectional steel beams or fitch plates. Especially with a vaulted ceiling space.

Perhaps find a timber framing carpenter to talk through your options.

Unless of course it’s all small section softwood…

alexxx
    Free Member

I’ll grab a picture today – its an agricultural building and theyve used undersized beams so one of them has snapped and been reinforced. it’s not particularly nice wood and it’s not been tied nicely just skrewed into the sides of each other…

I’ll get the pic – better than me talking nonsense!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Replacing wooden frame roof with steel…’ is closed to new replies.