Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Replacing rear shock , slightly longer stroke
  • jambonsambo
    Free Member

Hi

My rp23 has sprung a leak behind the propedal switch and no longer works.

I’m looking at replacing it . Saw one on eBay that matches it eye to eye length but is 2 mil longer in stroke .

Is this a negligible difference ?

Can I swap the mounting hardware ? New one is fox too .

Getting quoted around 120 quid to get the old shock fixed

chiefgrooveguru

It’ll either be fine or will break your frame when it bottoms out. 2mm more stroke could be as much as 7mm more vertical travel at the rear wheel, so check the clearance with the current shock fully compressed.

jambonsambo
    Free Member

Thanks , what about a slightly smaller shock travel ? Would it be noticeable?

transporter13
    Free Member

What frame is it?
    Release the air from you current shovk with it still on the bike… Tgen sit or lean on the bike to bottom it out.. Then see if the rear tyre or any part of the rear end gets either too close or touches the seat tube etc.
    If theres plenty of gap then the vhances are that extra 2mm of shock stroke wont matter(depending on your frame and its leverage ratio)
    A shorter shock will result in a slightly slacker bike(although you probably wont notice) and less rear travel… Again dependant on your bikes leverage ratio.
    Frame travel divided by shock stroke= leverage ratio…. That figure multiplied by the new shock stroke will tell you how much travel that shock will give you.

mboy
    Free Member

If theres plenty of gap then the vhances are that extra 2mm of shock stroke wont matter(depending on your frame and its leverage ratio)

This… But with the caveat that most frames typically have somewhere around a 2.5:1 leverage ratio, which means 2mm shock stroke will mean the wheel moves 5mm, but even then, leverage ratios from 2:1 to more than 3:1 are also not uncommon.

You then also have the wheel/tyre/swingarm deflection when bottomed out to take into account too. I’ve seen a frame that nominally had 10mm of tyre to seat tube clearance when the shock was at full compression begin to eat its seat tube, because the rear wheel was (to put it mildly) looser than a whores drawers (“Vertically Compliant” is how the road bike marketing men would describe it I believe!). But even a stiff evenly trued wheel will deflect a few mm when bottoming the shock out, so bear that in mind too when it comes to wheel/tyre/frame clearance.

nixie

Would the leak not be fixed as part of a service (if it’s a seal issue).

jambonsambo
    Free Member

Bikes an old commencal meta 5 , 2008 I think ,large size

I could get the shock serviced but an option im seeing on eBay is half the price .

Right now I’m not sure of the exact stroke length as part of the problem is that the shock is stuck in extended position and won’t compress so it’s hard to measure exact travel

transporter13
    Free Member

Googlefu is suggesting 190×51

What size shock are you looking at replacing with?

nixie

I’d rather twice the cost on a shock service than a eBay gamble (which may well need a service as well).

jambonsambo
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses and the googlefu , the shock Ive taken off measures 200 eye to eye with what I am pretty sure is 55mm of travel.

its actually the 2005 model this one https://goo.gl/images/pAeqPp

Im wishing that I had got a hardtail:)

What about a coil shock if I can find one ?less seals etc Id rather something low maintenance that doesn’t tax me 150 quid extra a year even if its not as smooth

ebay could be a gamble alright

poah
    Free Member

200×51(50)mm is the shock size – should be able to find plenty in that sizing.

https://j-techsuspension.co.uk/collections/used-products/products/used-2016-rockshox-reverb-125mm-travel-30-9mm

jambonsambo
    Free Member

Thanks poah , how did you work that shock lenght out out ?pretty sure from measuring the lenght of shaft outside the can that its 55 , is it a case that not all the shaft travels into the shock ?

Is this a piece of crap ? im considering it

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DNM-DV22AR-Mountain-Bike-Biycle-Coil-Spring-Rear-Shock-200-x-55mm/361466850912?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Replacing rear shock , slightly longer stroke’ is closed to new replies.