Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Replacing old coil fork with new coil fork.. Should I consider air spring?
  • nickewen
    Free Member

I’ve finally accepted that my faithful old coil lyriks are goosed and I’m going to treat myself to some new forks.

The old knackered forks are 26″ 160mm U-Turn coil with a straight 1.5″ steerer and have done me well over the last 6 years since I bought them (2nd hand!). Stiff, plush etc. if a little lardy.

Should I just stick with what I know and get some more coil lyriks – £400 gets a nice pair of 170mm forks with mission control.. Or should I looks to get an air spring? Other than the weight and adjustability advantages are there any others? What are the drawbacks compared to coil?

Bike is a Nukeproof Mega Mk2 (2012 I think) and I’m not really fussed about weight as it’s a fairly heavy bike anyhow and I’m not exactly lean.

Interested to hear people’s thoughts
    Cheers

vmgscot

I’m no suspension expert but having converted a set of air forks to coil a few months back I was left wondering why I ever bothered with air in the first place.

nickewen
    Free Member

Interesting, thanks vmg. I’m kind of in the opposite position having had relatively little experience of air forks other than some pretty old Fox 32 talas something or others.. which I thought were a bit shite!

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are happy with the weight penalty, and aren’t especially light yourself, then coil every time – they are way better in my limited experience.

Northwind

My new 36s are nearly as good as my ancient lyriks. New Pikes aren’t even in the same ballpark. If I could have bought a 29er coil lyrik mico I would have.

Dango
    Free Member

I am about to sell some Marz 55’s Ti 170mm (v2 latest type on 26″), tapered steerer, 20mm axle I bought brand new from CRC late last year. Have done about 75 miles old (on an unused bike I have). 3 year warenty from new.

Air fork with Ti Spring assist.

Email me if youre interested

Dave (Surrey)

molgrips
    Free Member

I might be.

Andy-R

I am about to sell some Marz 55’s Ti 170mm (v2 latest type on 26″), tapered steerer, 20mm axle I bought brand new from CRC late last year. Have done about 75 miles old (on an unused bike I have). 3 year warenty from new.

Air fork with Ti Spring assist.

Coil fork with air assist, surely? And forget about using any air preload if you want the best performance from them.
    My favourite forks, btw although my 55 TST 2”s with shim stack modification give them a good run for their money.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

All good comments above.

I’ve read a number of times that the move towards air-springs was mainly due to the ‘weight-wars’ that manufacturers are involved in.

I agree about 36s (RC2 damper version) being almost as good as coil – I believe any from late 2015 onwards will impress.

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks for the posts everyone. Sounds like I’ll risk disappointment if I stray away from coil.. think I’m going to order these lyriks.

Thanks for the offer Dango but I’ve never had a new set of forks and I think I’m going to treat myself.

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Replacing old coil fork with new coil fork.. Should I consider air spring?’ is closed to new replies.