Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Replacing Norton 360 with er…Norton 360 (not renewing though…)
  • twang
    Free Member

I have Norton 360 on my laptop which expires soon and they’re wanting £60 for renewal so that’s not happening, however, my daughters new laptop came with free N360 so was going to add mine to hers as you can protect up to 3 PC’s on it. So my question is, do I remove the old one first before installing new? Or if I install first will the expired one be uninstalled automatically?
    *I’m not in I.T* 🙂

Thanks

bigyinn
    Free Member

Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes. Both free, both work well and DONT hog system resources like Norton does.

andytherocketeer

my experience of Norton is that a complete uninstall of the previous version leaves way more than just a trace of what was there before. like several Mb plus more registry entries than you could manually tidy up in an evening.
    and a new version was fully aware of what had been installed before, even after an uninstall.
    when I surrender my rights to a licence, I expect that s/w supplier to surrender their rights to the use of my HDD and registry resources etc.

Complete wipe and re-install fixed it.

Muke
    Free Member

bigyinn +1

I had a mare trying to fully remove Norton from my old pc

stumpy01

I think that Norton provide a ‘removal tool’. Not sure how good it is, but I’d be using that before installing a new version.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

PiknMix
    Free Member

Norton is never removed, it may look like it’s gone, but it will be there. Periodically taunting you. Of no use to the op of course.

GrahamS

Complete wipe and re-install fixed it.

Northwind

I know it’s a cliche but Norton really does behave more like a virus than an anti-virus. Get shot, it was always rubbish but now it’s a rubbish anachronism.

dirtydog
    Free Member

What stumpy said…… use the Norton removal tool download it of their site.

hot_fiat

Good luck with this. I once spent about 4 hours “fixing” a friends PC trying to get rid of this junk. The way it wraps itself around the network filter drivers is astonishing. It’ll demand reboots, during which time instead of dying it seems to fix itself. It’s like a T-1000 crossed with the worst adware you’ve ever seen.

Removal tool sort of works. No substitute for a rebuild or thorough registry search.

plyphon
    Free Member

Norton is terrible. MSE for the win

twang
    Free Member

Thanks all for the replies.
    Is MSE still the best option with windows 7?
    Will try the Norton removal tool if I can fumble my way through it and probably stick in the MSE

Cheers all

br
    Free Member

why not just renew yours with her code?

twang
    Free Member

Oooh can I do that br? Wasn’t sure if it would confuse things having it installed already 😕 That is perhaps the safest option for an IT buffoon like myself. Cheers, will have look into it

mulv1976
    Free Member

MSE, malwarebytes and crapcleaner here on windows 7 64 bit.

The best combination I’ve had for years.

Haze

MSE at home, IT bods insist on it at work too.

Cougar

That makes a change, we’re lumbered with sodding McAfee.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Replacing Norton 360 with er…Norton 360 (not renewing though…)’ is closed to new replies.