Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Replacing my knackered G-Form Knee pads recommedations
  • hughjengin
    Free Member

Hi my G-form knee pads are in the twilight of their existence, stitching on the pad part is giving up and the general appearance is somewhat shabby after a couple of years.
    Looking for a recommendation on an alternative that’ll make me look less like a power ranger / fancy dress spiderman. But need to be pedal friendly as they are used mainly as an extra layer of protection for all my general riding which is as much up as down, so erring on the side of a good comprimise between a decent level of protection but ones that can be worn all day without noticing too much. Cheers

packer
    Free Member
    andybrad

got the same issue.

Loved the g forms, very comfy just need a better fixing system imo

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asXw2a4kQLc[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If these fit, they’re super comfy, secure and very easily work for an all day pedalling route at a trail centre or the like. Mine tend to stay on all day if it’s a ride where I might need them (So, not used at Swinley or on local loops, but only really on big days in the hills)

Race Face Ambush

Also, unlike many other “proper” pads, they can be taken off/put on without needing to go over your shoes. A real boon if you only want them for the times when you’re shredding teh gnat.

😉

gogg
    Free Member

The new race face Indy, has the comfort of the lightweight foam pads but with D30 pad.

Winner!

growinglad
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Endura Singletrack knee pads.

Can get them on and off without taking your shoes off and I wear them all the time for my up and down, up and down, up and down riding. Comfy.

Not worn them in the hot weather yet, but after several months of use, I’m happy with them.

bigjim

I tried some race face digs which are the non-d30 version of the ambush, but the sizing and strap length just seems daft, the straps are so short compared to the width of the neoprene you have to have them pretty tight to get them round and secured, seems daft to me. I really wanted them to work as taking shoes off is a pain.

Got some fox launch pro’s in the evans weekend discount for not very much and they are super comfy, possibly even better than my beloved kyle straits. Those Indy ones look good but the issues with d3o and machine washing kinda put me off.

theotherjonv

what’s the issue with D30 and machine washing?

peasant
    Free Member

I have a pair of new never worn dianese pads featured above , brought from Hi bike but to small for my calfs and to expensive to return will take some pics if interested

theotherjonv

Trail skins? What size?

peasant
    Free Member

Theotherjony- large

poah
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member

Trail skins? What size?

I’m waiting to hear back from windwave about the sizing as the pdf from dainese is pretty unclear

bigjim

what’s the issue with D30 and machine washing?

dunno, read it a few times in other knee pad threads on here!

packer
    Free Member

How much you want for the trail skins (inc postage) ?

andybrad

also interested in the trail skins if your selling 🙂

peasant
    Free Member

Trailskins £40 posted ? brand new with tags ,sorry for hijack

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

tld kg5400 are pretty light and unobtrusive. The Dianese look good as well.

swanny853
    Del

NEVER use cleaners or detergents on or
    launder your D3O product. This may result in
    irreparable damage and will severely reduce
    the effectiveness of your D3O product.

sauce

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

tld kg5400 are pretty light and unobtrusive

I bought some of these last week and I’m really impressed, they don’t slip down and you hardly know you’re wearing them. Only used them on 2 rides so far (20 & 10 miles) and tested them out properly tonight on the Quantocks by coming off at a fair speed down the chimney 😳

Will probably buy the matching elbow pads now to replace my 4 year old 661 evo’s that have got a bit loose.

packer
    Free Member

@peasant – I’d give you £35 posted for them if you don’t get any better offers. Can pay by Paypal straight away if you are interested. My email address is in my profile.

bigjim

NEVER use cleaners or detergents on or
    launder your D3O product. This may result in
    irreparable damage and will severely reduce
    the effectiveness of your D3O product.

and for that reason, I’m out.

grum
    Free Member

My D30 gloves have never been the same since going through the wash. They’ve gone REALLY hard.

They look good but I can’t wear them because I ride Enduro not all-mountain. 🙂

poah
    Free Member

I’ve got dainese train skins – small review Here – great fit and comfort

hughjengin
    Free Member

I replaced my G-forms with Fox launch Enduro, and I prefer them a lot more

austy
    Free Member

Got me some ixs flow knee pads did 15 miles on Sunday and were comfy up and down didnt budge one bit would recommend them.

muddy9mtb

just purchased my first knee pads “fox launch enduro” read my review on the evans website here http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fox-clothing/launch-enduro-knee-pad-ec059283#BVRRWidgetID
    hot but comfortable, fit is very snug and will act like a towel when removing (comes in handy!) my normal size is small but these didn’t get past my calf, quite chuffed I fit a medium 😯

cubist
    Free Member

I find that I don’t even notice my Dainese Trail skins are on when I’m on the bike even for 6 hour rides in 34 degree sunshine. I just hope the same isn’t true when I come to an abrupt stop without a bike underneath me…

dudeofdoom

I find my TLD’s 5450 are very comfy, stay in place and don’t give the stormtrooper look.

andybrad

Just an update on my side. I swapped my g form ones for some raceface indy pads. They are very comfy but not as much as the g forms. they stay up better though and feel as if they will offer more protection in a spill. Having said that the g forms were excellent passing both the “smash my knees with a metal bar test” at work and the “where the hell did that tree come from test” on the trail.

I did want the trail skins but ive spoken to 3 people so far who have them and while they loved them at first they are all now complaining about how they rub on longer (15mile+) rides.

hughjengin
    Free Member

OOps I just realised something, I just advised myself. I hadnt checked the age of the original post, and of course the fact I was the OP ! Just saw that some guy had a dying pair of G-forms once, which sounded exactly how mine failed, so thought I’d offer some fine advice of what I did to replace them. Only to realise it was me… what a n*b 🙂 I really hope someone else has done this before

citizenlee
    Free Member

I generally hate pads, but I find these really comfy and soon forget I’m wearing them.

Bliss ARG Keenpads

The use Armourgel which is similar to the D30 stuff but can be machine washed up to 50 times before it starts to affect performance.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Replacing my knackered G-Form Knee pads recommedations’ is closed to new replies.