Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replacing my complete drive train – Tech Advice needed
  • salome33
    Free Member

Hi all,

After hitting aston hill this weekend and sounding like a prisoner in shackles on a bike im replacing my drivetrain (its budget and crap anyway) and the last thing on my new build to replace.

So, I currently have a 1×9 setup and love just having 1 up front for the simplicity (ride downhill mostly anyway)and want to keep it like that, maybe 1 x 10

So im going to buy a shifter, derailer, casette and a chain tensioner on top of it, I want to be silent (as it can be!)

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks everyone, input appreciated.

Northwind

If you’re replacing so much stuff then 1×10 with a clutchy mech makes sense and can be a lot quieter as well as more controlled/reliable.

Chain device… What sort of bike?

rootes1

and also get a non ramped full tooth chainring

salome33
    Free Member

sorry to sound a noob (first time getting nitty gritty with mechs) whats a clutchy mech?

My currently chain device is just a top one (feeds the chain onto the the chainring), does the job but does nothing to take slack.

My bike is a spesh p1 hardtail (only thing original on it is the frame!)

rootes – Im currently running this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=87847

rootes1

My bike is a spesh p1 hardtail (only thing original on it is the frame!)

rootes – Im currently running this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=87847

cool.

Northwind

Ah, sorry, that’s just my name for it… Shimano’s Shadow Plus mechs have an extra arrestor built into them that controls the frame a lot more, much reduces the chance of losing the chain off the bottom and also reduces chain noise a lot. SRAM do one as well that they call Type 2, same thing. Costs a little more but well worth it IMO.

salome33
    Free Member

rootes – its a good point about the ramped chain ring, i had no idea there were ramped and un ramped untill i looked into it!

northwind – learning all the time! never knew that, I will look into how much it all costs later, what are the Shimano SLX derailers like? Im running SLX brakes and I love them, well made and dead simple

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I would go SLX Shifter, SLX 11-36 Cassette, Zee Shadow+ Rear Derailleur. XT shifter if you want to spend a bit more.

You may find you don’t need a bottom guide with the Shadow+ mech, so worth holding off on buying a new one until you’ve tried a few rides with the new setup.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Replacing my complete drive train – Tech Advice needed’ is closed to new replies.