Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Replacing my 5:10 Freerider Elements with?
  • jakd95
    Free Member

Another pair of Freerider Elements?

My 2 1/2 year old pair have badly de-lamintaed on both soles and are now held together with duct tape. Apart from that they have been very comfortable and grippy and the uppers are still in great condition. It looks like the newer model has stitching all the way around the sole which may have solved the de-laminating. But are there any others I should be considering?

Adidas Terrex Trail Crosses?

Budget around £75.

jam-bo

i have a pair of these.

https://www.bananafingers.co.uk/five-ten-guide-tennie-mid-gtx-p-4965.html

at that price they are a freakin bargain.

Kahurangi

I have successfully repaired a couple of pairs of Freerider Elements with Freesole – it’s a PU based glue. Not particularly cheap but much cheaper than a new pair of shoes.

Pull the sole off a bit so that you can reach inside, brush it clean and dry, fill with glue then tape it all up to dry. I used newspaper to help give the shoe some shape and to apply pressure evenly across the sole while it cured.

Don’t buy too big a tube as it will cure and only keep in the tube for 6 months ish.

Since then I’m eventually starting to wear through the sole at the front of the foot – I’ve obviously spent too much time walking in these shoes!

Kahurangi

jam bo – Are the Guide Tennie the ones that Northwind bought and went completely mental at for being water absorbent junk?

Have you used them much in the wet?

jam-bo

no idea but I’ve been wearing these pretty much everyday for the last 6 months and they are great.

they are the goretex lined version.

Tracey

Kevin has some of the Guide mid gtx ones, his has been great in the wet. The trade off is that they arent as grippy as his normal five tens.

gelert
    Free Member

Don’t quote me but I think Northwind has the Freerider EPS which I’ve also got in the High Side variety for winter riding. I think they’re an excellent winter bike shoe and I largely stay dry and warm on very wet rides in the winter in them – better than I ever did in Shimano AM45s. I also have the Freerider Elements just over two years old now with stitched base and got them properly soaked on Saturday so had to ride in the EPS winter boots on Sunday in the sun (weather forecasts eh!). Surprisingly they felt grippier to pedal in than my Elements which have definitely worn chunks from pedal pins. The boots were very comfortable to walk in too. Getting them on and off is the hard bit.

I like the look of those gortex FiveTen boots though. I’ll take a closer look.

I’m thinking of getting the Freerider Pro to replace my Freerider Elements. Although I’ve nothing bad to say about the Elements. They’ve been amazingly good shoes.

I also wear the cheap FiveTen Spitfires all the time for non biking. Comfy as. Great for street riding or pottering to the pub or down the canal to a cafe, not fine for going on proper rides. Way too flexy for me and I feel like I’ve got no protection, may as well ride in flip flops.

Rickos
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Adidas recently and they’re great. Easier to get on than my old Freeriders, dry much quicker, great little lace bungie and super-enduro colourway(!) too. Bonus being that as Adidas own 5.10, you still get the Stealth rubber sole.

Nice shoes, would recommend.

joefm

New Speciailized 2FO shoe

I always just buy new 5.10s though as they work. two to three years seems fair to me for the mud and abuse they get

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

I have the Elements with stitching all the way around…currently back with lbs as the soles fell to pieces inside. Useless after only about twenty rides. I’ll not buy another pair though am expecting new ones as a taplacement.

singlespeedstu

I seem to wear through five ten soles at an alarming rate.
    Just got some of the Adidas with five ten soles as the rubber seems a little thicker.
    So far so good and as mentioned up there they dry a lot quicker too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I go through soles too, it’s the trade off with using jaggy bastard aggressive pinned pedals.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Replacing my 5:10 Freerider Elements with?’ is closed to new replies.