Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • replacing iPad glass – experiences
  • Pook

Anyone ever replaced iPad glass? Last night my wife knocked a glass of water on to the screen and it landed corner on, smashing the glass. The iPad still works but it needs replacing as there are tiny chips coming off it.

Looking at diy options and it seems quite fiddly. Anyone done it, or am I just looking at a trip to the Apple store?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I broke my mini retina and considered a diy repair but in the end I used a repairer via eBay called monster electronics in Northampton who charged £30ish total inc return postage and turned it around in 3-4 days. Very happy with the results, as new no downsides at all.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

wyziwig does this kind of thing, doesn’t he?

Kryton57

I’ve a cracked ipad mini 3. Apple have told me you can’t replace the screen on these, and I need to buy a whole new one.

If like to know if this isn’t true and it can be repaired, not sure of this is relevant to the OP..,

leffeboy

never done an ipad but my kids replaced a broken ipod touch screen with a kit from Amazon (and a bit of help from dad). Took about 1h30 as quite fiddly but doable. We used a kit from iCracked (on Amazon) as they had great YouTube videos and the reviews seemed ok. Result was great. I think the only thing missing from the kit was a bit of superglue.

turboferret

I managed to drop an iPad off a hotel balcony and had the pleasure of watching it slide down a sloping roof and then fall another storey onto concrete 🙁

It was a bit bent and the digitizer was smashed, but after unbending it, a new digitizer and also a new plastic bezel, fitting it all back together was pretty simple. I think the digitizer and bezel cost me about £25 from eBay, so on the basis of Balzin-saddles, I’d say £30 for a repair sounds like the way to go to save the hassle.

Cheers, Rich

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP, the front glass can be tricky based on my experiences with phones as the way the touch sensitive glass works varies by model (eg i tried to change the glass on an old iPhone 4 and ended up with a pile of broken components). If its a fairly recent model I would pay for a professional repair possibly by Apple depending upon the price.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Apple saying you can’t replace the glass in a mini is tosh Kryton.

Anyhow I charge £35 for a standard ipad and MacBooks and £45 for a mini as the digitiser is more expensive due to the ic controller being on the digitiser itself.
    Postage at cost etc

If you go DIY be careful not to tear the wifi cable (you probably will) as you have to take the whole ipad apart to replace it as it’s attached underneath.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just checked out monster electronics on eBay. £26.89 returned for any ipad. How he does that I don’t know. A decent quality glass costs £25 for a mini and return insured post is £8.50.

jamesy01
    Free Member

This reminds me….I must send my ipad 2 to you wysiwyg for a new screen…

Kryton57

Wysiwyg could you contact me via the email in my profile please – my kit won’t let me email your address for obvious reasons….

Thanks

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Nae problems fellas

If anyone wants me use fixerofphones @ gmail .com

Gary_M
    Free Member

wysiwyg is just just screen replacement you do or other repairs? My son dropped is iphone 5 in a sink full of water a few months ago, it was in there about a millisecond, tried drying it out but it appears to be dead. Plug it in and nothing happens. It did work before it ran out of charge.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

wysiwig, do you also do Nexus 7 screens? 1st generation if that makes any difference?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Gary also do water damage but obv no guarantees. But welcome to send it to me. Nothing ventured etc.

Cheshire. Let me take a look and report back in that

Gary_M
    Free Member

Cheers wysiwyg, I’ll send you an email.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Cheshire, as I suspected the nexus uses and amoled display, so the glass is glued directly to the display and not separate like the ipad. I can remove it but the lcd can get damaged. As a used nexus is £40-50 ish, id suggest it would be more financially sensible to buy a used replacement and sell your cracked one for £20-25. Would work out cheaper than messing about shipping it to me etc etc.

Pook

Wysiwyg- I’ll take you up on that! Let me find out the model and I’ll be in touch. Cheers

plumber
    Free Member

wysiwyg replaced the glass on my ipad 2 last year I think

perfect job he did too, he would be my first call if it happened again

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Thanks wysiwyg – good advice.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

That should be everyone emailed, if i missed anyone give me a shout on the email above

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘replacing iPad glass – experiences’ is closed to new replies.