Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Replacing headset bottom cup?
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I have a Nukeproof 44mm OD tapered headset and the bottom bearing has failed in less than 200 miles of local riding(The top is still running smoothly)

I think it’s down to the non-existent seal between the bearing and the crown race (A thin plastic shim affair that doesn’t seem to cover the full bearing!) as the inside of the bearing was caked in crud.

Are the Hope “pick ‘N’ mix” bottom cups better sealed, and will I die if I use one alongside the Nukeproof top cup? Would I be better off investing in better quality bearings instead?

Cheers!

fivespot
    Free Member

Taken from a headset thread a few days ago “My NP headset lasted 3 months, crap bearings and seals. The replacement Hope one is still perfect 18 months on.”

Stainless bearings, great seals, split crown race for easy fitting/removal.

I just bought another pair for my Nicolai last week. I had to shope around to get the top and bottom I wanted. Rutland and Winstanleys, about £26 each posted 😉

dan1980
    Free Member

Cheers, that’s what I wanted to hear! 200 miles seems like nothing! My superstar one on my other bike must be close to over a 1000 miles now, and still going strong. It’s a shame they don’t do a pick and mix setup :/

steel4real
    Free Member

You can buy the bearing only for NukeProof headsets – about £6 !!! I think.

I had the same headset and wasn’t impressed with the sealing but it lasted a year or so and the replacement bearing is good 9 months on.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-warhead-ac-cartridge-bearing/rp-prod92342

(I have the 44 IES headset as well)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Replacing headset bottom cup?’ is closed to new replies.