Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replacing felt flat roof with GRP – ballpark figures?
  • ross980
    Free Member

Has anyone done this recently? The felt on one of ours is leaking, I bodged a repair in the Autumn with some bitumen and a very wobbly ladder. Needless to say it hasn’t lasted and I don’t fancy going up there again 8O. I’m after something more permanent so will get the whole lot replaced with GRP.
    Size wise it’s pretty much 3/4s of the example photo below (i.e. 3 Windows all in a line – interfacing to an existing GRP roof on our neighbours. The leak is on the far side, so not at the felt/GRP interface)
    Anyone had something similar done? Any ballpark figures?
    I’m getting some quotes next week but interested in numbers. Appreciate there are regional variations etc. (I’m in North Yorks)
    Similar roof type:

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Had our single storey flat roof done with GRP which was much bigger than that for around 6K last year (included 50mm of insulation). You’ll have to factor in a scaffold as well for the safe working at height.

spooky_b329

Ask your neighbours if they’d recommend whoever did theirs?

mikey74
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use GRP: It’s not very flexible and can crack. I’d use single-ply (Sarnafil etc) or a liquid-applied membrane, such as Bauder (Linky)

properbikeco
    Free Member

for a warm roof in rural scotland I paid approx £150 per sq m (+vat)

ross980
    Free Member

Ask your neighbours if they’d recommend whoever did theirs?

Turns out they did their own. It’s not GRP either, but some sort of rubber applied with an adhesive with a trim around the front edge. By his reckoning, our current roof has only been on about 7-8 years; that seems pretty poor imho. Although judging by the piss-poor standard of decorating etc. in our house it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a botched DIY job by the previous owner (one of many!).

eskay

Your neighbour probably has an EPDM roof. I did my garage roof with EPDM about 7 or 8 years ago and it is still looking good.

TheFlyingOx

Yup, EPDM is the way forward. Done both our garage and porch roofs with the stuff. Cheap as chips and easy to do.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Replacing felt flat roof with GRP – ballpark figures?’ is closed to new replies.