Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replacing fat albert tyres
  • nobbyq
    Free Member

Hi , i am thinking of replacing the fat alberts on my canyon , as i find them slow rolling on roads , what maxxis tyres would give me similar grip off road but easier on tarmac ? Cheers

james
    Free Member

why maxxis?

apart from the ‘IIRC more expensive than schwalbe’ 3C maxxis, the rest of the maxxis range is fairly expensive for the tyre you get

You’ll struggle to drop rolling resistance and have the same grip IMO, Depending on the tyre/compounds/riding a dual compound tyre might help (stickier on the sides for cornering, harder in the middle for rolling)

If you keep the front tyre for front grip but switch to a more of a semi slick tyre on the rear (where much of your weight will be) you can reduce rolling resistance a bit, though at the expense of some climbing/braking grip, and as its getting wetter I’d maybe err away from slicker tyres unless you’ll only be riding at trail centres

anc
    Free Member

I went from fat albert ust’s to maxxis minion F&R standard tyres setup tubeless. Way better for me in the lakes, better on wet rock better cornering grip and lighter so faster accelerating.

nobbyq
    Free Member

How did they differ on tarmac ? Thank guys

anc
    Free Member

They roll fine, not the fastest but deffo quicker than the Alberts as they’re 200g’ish per tyre lighter. So I shed a load of rotating weight which is the main difference not the tread pattern.

chakaping
    Free Member

Minion DHF both ends here, 2.35 set up tubeless.

Roll quicker and grip better than Fat Alberts IMO, Maxxpro rear and super tacky front.

pyro9n
    Free Member

Minion on the front, high roller on the back. Awesome combo, the Highroller will make you feel like an oversteer hero as they let go easy, but are super nice to drift, and always seem to pickup grip again.

I’ve also ridden Ardents, which roll better and have more grip before they slide, but are then less predictable ( to me anyway). For tarmac I’d go with the Ardents, they are a less aggressive tread, but still a great tyre. Use them on my hardtail.

Alternatively buy some slicks for the road, all MTB tyres are rubbish on tarmac compared to slicks.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d be more concerned about the overall grip of a tyre for a given trail condition OFFROAD than whether they are draggy on the ROAD to be honest. If you’re after a compromise tyre then a semi-slick / narrower tyre would be better perhaps?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Replacing fat albert tyres’ is closed to new replies.