Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Replacing damaged brickwork
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

A section of brickwork at the back of my house is in need of repair, the face of the bricks has come away as has some of the mortar. Section is probably about 10 bricks in all, spread over 3 layers (3-4 bricks per layer). Whats the best way to repair this? Do I chisel out the remaining mortar and then replace the bricks? Can I tackle them all at once, or should I do one layer at a time?
    Cheers.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Drill the middle brick out, using say 7mm sds bit. Then use this opening to chop away at remaining bricks. Take care when cleaning the motor above the top course and below bottom course to avoid damaging face work of good bricks. And yes you’ll be able to chop all that out at once if you go steady.

Stevet1
    Free Member

So drill rather than chisel out the first brick? And by chop out – do you mean chisel?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes then chisel. You’ll find the brick you drilled to death easy to fetch out so may choose yo do that with the others. Just a bit time consuming that way. If they’re soft then a good sharp cold chisel will be quicker the clean up the joints with a bolster chisel.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Replacing damaged brickwork’ is closed to new replies.