Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Replacing cracked phone screen- where?
  • scruff
    Free Member

I’ve cracked my not far off new Sony phone screen, accidental damage. I don’t have insurance and the nice boy in the shop suggested I use a 3rd party to replace the screen. Does anyone have any recommendations where I can send it to?

boblo
    Free Member

I just went to the local Asian run independent phone shop (other flavours are available, no implied guarantee, E&OE etc…). They put a new front on my phone for £85 which was less than all the online guff. They fixed, I waited 5 mins and paid.

You can get glass off Evilbay but the repair process looks to fall a long way short of the way the manufacturer does it. I presume the manufacturer follows their own process for a reason…

unovolo
    Free Member

I have replaced screens on 2 phones now(both Nokia Windows phones)thanks to clumsy kids.
    And its been relatively easy and cheap(Screen for Lumia 800 was about £30 ,and screen for Lumia 710 was only £10 both from ebay)Neither took more than 30mins from beginning to end.

No idea on cost of replacement screens for Sony’s, however its not the Sony that was in the news for the screens spontaneously cracking by anychance?

unovolo
    Free Member

I have replaced screens on 2 phones now(both Nokia Windows phones)thanks to clumsy kids.
    And its been relatively easy and cheap(Screen for Lumia 800 was about £30 ,and screen for Lumia 710 was only £10 both from ebay)Neither took more than 30mins from beginning to end.

No idea on cost of replacement screens for Sony’s, however its not the Sony that was in the news for the screens spontaneously cracking by anychance?

hughjengin
    Free Member

Dog knocked my new Xperia Z2 out of my hand and smashed the glass. I had no insurance but got it done by these chaps
    [/url] Its a company called MBlue
    Now I did have to wait a bit longer than the 24 hour turn around they stated, and it was probably a bit more expensive than the average. However all I can say is that having the phone back, the repair is about as perfect as I could have hoped for. Like a new phone. I was gutted when it happened as it was just at the start of a contract and brand new phone. I was all “oh it wont be the same after a repair”, “what happens if the screen isnt as responsive” blah blah. But having had it back it never crossed my mind since that it wasnt still a brand new phone.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I do mine myself. The ebay price of the screen keeps dropping but its currently about a fiver with the tools.

seosamh77
    Free Member

do it yourself, it’s a dawdle.

I’ve done a window phone and a couple of moto g.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I normally do my own and other folks if they ask but my nexus 5 screen was the same price to have it fitted as it would have been to do it myself.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Having dealt with that shower of shit M-blue ltd, I would advise you to steer well clear of them in all their guises. 1 month without a phone, on the verge of legal action to eventually get it back on a claimed 3-5 day turn around.

Do it yourself, theres guides on tinternet and parts on ebay. Its what i ended up doing anyway after m-blues repair failed.

Sui
    Free Member

hughjengin – Member
    Dog knocked my new Xperia Z2 out of my hand and smashed the glass. I had no insurance but got it done by these chaps
    [/url] Its a company called MBlue
    Now I did have to wait a bit longer than the 24 hour turn around they stated, and it was probably a bit more expensive than the average.

Sony Xperia screens are more expensive (how do i know that 👿 ) anyway, use MBlue (as Hugh says), and not “my Trendy phone” who blatantly lie about turnaround times and then admit it when you try to findout where your phone is.. 👿

edit they must all be shysters…

Sui
    Free Member

there is a video of how to do the Sony screen yourself if you can be bothered, it involves heating it up to break that lovely IP rated seal.. the rest looks easy, but not sure what you use to re-seal it..

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I can do it if youre stuck.

Cougar

I don’t have insurance

Are you sure your home contents insurance doesn’t cover it? Mine did when my OH jumped out of the car on the M65 (whilst stationary!) and forgot her phone was in her lap, with hilarious predictable consequences.

tomcrow99

I cracked the front and back of my original xperia Z, Sony wanted £230 or something to fix it when you could buy a new one for £300, couldn’t find a much cheaper repair option because of the waterproofing.
    I claimed for it under H&C (less £50 excess) at the £230 quoted repair, then sold the (broken) handset to CEX for £90 and bought a new handset.

Just replaced a Nokia 1020 screen, pretty easy, screen was £75 off ebay ad took 30mins.

scruff
    Free Member

All in all it sounds a bundle of fun. 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Replacing cracked phone screen- where?’ is closed to new replies.