Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • replacing brake hoses – what is needed?
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

i’ve just bought a pair of those cheapy shimano hydraulics from crc.

i quite fancy gold braided hoses, so am looking at the superstar ones.

from what i can see, i need a set of hoses, fitting kit, hose cutter (does a standard cutter work with braided hoses), bleed kit and some mineral oil.

in terms of mineral oil… how much oil is actually in the system? does the little bottle that comes with the bleed kits contain enough, or do i need to buy a bigger bottle?… can i drain the oil out of the existing system and reuse it?

never touched hydraulic discs before (i have formula rx’s and try not to get involved with all that DOT stuff), but am keen to learn.

cheers

Northwind

For the hoses- stanley knife/other sharp strong knife. The superstar ones are kevlar braided rather than steel so no need for clever tactics.

You don’t need very much fluid… The guides always say to throw away any you don’t use, even with mineral oil. I say balls to that- seal it up tight, keep it somewhere dry. But trying to reuse what you have isn’t likely to work as you’ll never get it all out.

Also, coloured hoses are horrible.

campfreddie
    Free Member

lol… i fancy gold to match my gold shiny bits of my ‘currently at the painters’ sparkle green crank’n’fail hardtail

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘replacing brake hoses – what is needed?’ is closed to new replies.