Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • replacing bottle cage boss in alu Allez frame North West
  • geedub16
    Free Member

Does any of you good folk know a place in South Manchester/Cheshire that can replace a bottle cage boss in my frame, the whole carcass of the rivet is turning in the frame and would like it replacing/fixing so that I can accommodate two water bottles

Speshpaul

You can do it with a rivnut.
    you’ll need a pop riveter, drill the old one out, insert the rivnut and squeeze.

stoffel
    Free Member

you’ll need a pop riveter

You don’t, you can do it without one. It’s easier ith one, but there are plenty of online guides to show you how to do it with basic tools and a few nuts and bolts.

The difficult bt is removing the end that falls into the frame tube once you’ve drilled off the head.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geedub16
    Free Member

I did see the rivnut method, ill have a look on the line, would feel better if someone could do it though locally.

dont suppose i will need the tool very often if I bought one

Thanks guys

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The difficult bt is removing the end that falls into the frame tube once you’ve drilled off the head.

Probably no need to remove the old one. It’s not hard to tighten them up in many cases.

robdob
    Free Member

I used this method – http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/water-bottle-fittings

Worked a treat!!

geedub16
    Free Member

ill try a method of tightening but I suspect its threaded and the guy who had the frame before messed it up (2006) its taken me a long time to look into getting it sorted I know!

what size is the bottle cage thread if I was to replace?

stoffel
    Free Member

Probably no need to remove the old one. It’s not hard to tighten them up in many cases.

This is true, alhough it’s wearth bearing in mind that the rivnut is usually a soft allow, and if it’s been damaged, it’s probably better to simply replace. it. If a bolt is stuck in, it can be a right bugger to remove, especialy if the cage is still attached. Bolt is m5 size. Rivnut is probably 8mm diameter with m5 thread.

geedub16
    Free Member

there is no bolt stuck in fortunately, I bought the frame knowing it was bagel so I never bothered until recently its niggling me to get it fixed now, saying that I am not even sure if the thread is damaged, I will try a quick tighten and if that fails I will replace the rivet for a new one

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘replacing bottle cage boss in alu Allez frame North West’ is closed to new replies.