• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Replacing bearings in HT2 bottom brackets…
  • DrP

The bearings/top hats in my XTR cups are finally shot, despite numerous re-greases!
    I’m running them with FSA Moto SS cranks – perusing the net would suggest these cranks won’t work, but the spindle is 24mm, and the bearing ID (with top hat) is 24mm) and they DO work…

However, it’s time to replace the bearings and wondered what the consensus was on enduro bearings (without the top hat) Vs cheaper bearings?
    And reliable sources (web links etc) would be appreciated too!

Ta!

DrP

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m running a set of enduro bearing in one of my old xtr bottom brackets. Well over a year old now and still running as smooth as when new.

zbonty

I had a the Enduros for a few years with no probs. On my most recent replacements i went for some XTs for about £15 which seemed good value.

Cheezpleez

I’ve replaced bearings in the past but XT BBs are now cheap and last very well so I no longer think it’s worth the faff

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve replaced bearings in the past but XT BBs are now cheap and last very well so I no longer think it’s worth the faff

This^

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1.

Northwind

My enduro bearings were terrible, lasted less well than a deore (which was also pretty terrible tbh). I don’t like disposable stuff but it just makes more sense to buy a newXT, on all fronts.

Another good option is to get a Gusset EXT24 (or there’s a Token equivalent, I forget the name)- not too expensive, easily servicable and takes a standard bearing. Just need to be careful not to damage the cups as they’re not available separately.

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone else had bother removing the XTR bearings?

XT ones come out no bother, but the XTR I tried was too tight to get out with a screwdriver and mallet.

Trying to get some use out of my growing collection of working drive side bearings – since it’s always the NDS that fails first.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve replaced bearings in the past but XT BBs are now cheap and last very well despite being rubbish, the cheapness outweighs that so I no longer think it’s worth the faff

FTFY

me1tdown
    Free Member

I use trailbright BBs, they have better than average splash guard and I’ve always assumed it was water getting in that was ruining the bearing. When the bearing dies I replace it with another standard size one with extra grease.

Having said that their website is down, maybe they’ve gone out of business!

jimsmith
    Free Member

I’ve done xtr with an old steel bmx seat post. it was inch and not micro adjust, so no clamp at all the thin bit fits nicely in the bearing, made a wooden clamp for the vice. they are pressed in v tight. I also destroy non drive way before the drive side usually. worked fine but replacements are pretty cheap now it’s true…

FOG

If they are in stock you can get xtr bbs for very little money from Rose. I bought some which are now on their second bike in 18months and are working fine.

DrP

^^
    No stock!
    I got my XTR BB when it was down to £14!

I’ll have a look around at XTs then..

DrP

Northwind

FWIW I can’t tell any difference in use between XTR and XT- the design is a little different but in practice they seem to perform much the same.

DrP

XT BB ordered from CRC…. I chose the easy life, and can then dilly dally over refilling the empty XTR cups in plenty of time!

Drp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Replacing bearings in HT2 bottom brackets…’ is closed to new replies.