Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Replacing BB30 bearings?
  • beefheart
    Free Member

Bike is getting a bit creaky, so want to replace the bb30 bearings.

What do I need to remove the old bearings and get the new ones in- as looking online it appears I need to throw about £100 at the ‘proper’ tool and press?

I’ve always used a good old hammer and socket on hope hubs, but is a hammer and screwdriver approach a good idea on carbon?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Are you sure its BB30, or are they press fit – PF30?
    If its BB30, no tools needed usually.

zilog6128

The Park Tool set BBT-30.3 is about £35 or so (don’t know if there are cheaper versions available). Obviously you need a press as well so value-wise it depends how much use you’ll get out of that.

I have 3 BB30 bikes and like to do all my own spannering so the investment was a no-brainer for me. Without the proper tools though I personally would’ve taken them to the LBS, carbon frame or not.

beefheart
    Free Member

Definitely bb30, and something I’ll probably do once a year.

So bodge or bike shop?

Garry_Lager

Might be worth a strip, clean and re-grease before you replace any bearings – unless they’ve got big mileage and you want to replace them anyhow. I did that recently on a bb30 and it cured a creak.

Will a headset press work to put them in? I bought that cheap cyclus one to do a bb90 bottom bracket, seems like a good tool to have. bb30 is just bearings straight in the frame, right, no cups? Should work I would have thought.
    I’d bash them out the old fashioned way.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

With BB30, the bearings sit directly in the frame. You just need some circlip pliers.

They made be hard to remove, but as you won’t reuse the bearings it can be knocked out.
    To install, it depends on the tolerances of the frame, which is why BB30 isn’t as popular any more. If the frame is good, then you can normally install by hand. At most, a little tap to get them in and circlip to hold them in.

If its PF30, then it helps to have the proper tools to knock out and push back in.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup, it’s installation rather than wear that causes creaks.

zilog6128

Will a headset press work to put them in?

Yes you can put them in with a headset press. I bought one for that purpose too (not had call do actually do a headset with it yet!)

andylitespeed
    Free Member

They generally creak because they are assembled with nothing more then the packing oil the bearings/crank came in. Try a bit of grease first before changing the bearings.

IanW
    Free Member

You can replace them with a big hammer and big screw driver to take them out and small hammer and smaller screw driver to put them back in. You’ll also need a pair of circlip pliers and plenty of grease.

Depends on your appetite for bodge, mines well developed and saving £20 on the right tools feels like a small victory.

As above you could probably put the old ones back in with new grease and stop the creaks but bearings are £4 each so you may as well change em or at least the drive side which is the only one that seems to sea on my bike.

Check your pedals for creak too.

beefheart
    Free Member

Cheers everyone- I’ll have a go with a selection of ‘precision’ hammers.

Where’s the best place to get new bearings?

They’ve been smooth for a year, and I’ve put about 5000 miles on them, so I’m guessing the bearings are on their way out- and if they’re only £4, might as well change them.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Buy them in bulk from ebay. Just make sure its a decent bearing supplier.
    Bearing number 6806 I think?

lazybike
    Free Member

Might be worth popping the seals off the new bearings and adding more grease..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Replacing BB30 bearings?’ is closed to new replies.