Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • replacing a steerer, can it be done?
  • psychle
    Free Member

as the title says, can you fit a new steerer to a fork? What do you do if it’s too short for your purposes, surely there’s a way to replace it with a new one?

MrNutt
    Free Member

can’t you just buy a lower stack headset?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Windwave will do marzocchi ones for a few dozen quid. With RS you will need a whole new upper and i suspect its the same for most others.

psychle
    Free Member

I have a RC31 fork that’s been cut down to a ridiculous 155mm and then had a bodgy extension done on it… trying to figure out if I can just get a new steerer put in…

I_Ache
    Free Member

The only way to tell for sure is to mail or ring pace. I suspect it would be cheaper/easier to get some on one forks.

psychle
    Free Member

I’d like to sell the RC31’s (I have on-one forks now actually 🙂 ) but the steerer issue kinda destroys their value! A little miffed with it as they came with a bike I bought off Gumtree and were a large part of the reason I bought it in the first place! Ah well, you live and learn 🙂

Does anyone know of a frame that could actually use a 155mm steerer??

pk-ripper
    Free Member

you could probably get them in a frame with integrated headset and relatively small headtube, as you’ll save the headset cup height / depth. Looking at the headtube on my trance, that looks about 12 / 13 cm with integrated headset, and I’m thinking small person frames will have small headtubes too.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I reckon maybe a small frame with a low stack headset should work ok. I had a frame with a sub 100mm head tube. Thompson stack heights are 40mm and im sure you can get some lower stack ones.

I_Ache
    Free Member
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘replacing a steerer, can it be done?’ is closed to new replies.