Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • replacing a shed roof – corrugated sheets or felt?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

The cheapy shed in the garden leaks and i cant afford to replace it with a proper substantial thing at the moment so was planning on re-roofing it.

Its got boards covered with felt nailed on at the moment but the felt is paper thin.

So whats easiest way to fix it, just re-felt it with some more substantial felt, or can i put those corrugated bitumen sheets directly over the boards (with the proper ridge bits)?

Whats the easiest way?

allthepies
    Free Member

I went down the corrugated bitumen route, leaving the old felt in situ. Relatively easy to do and lasts years. If you’re going to be replacing the shed within a short time period though then might be overkill.

meeeee
    Free Member

what do you do at the ends of the shed (ie the ends that run parallel to the corrugations). Do you just leave an overhang?

Think i might use this instead of felt, as if i can stop it leaking i may hang onto it for a while.

Do i just need corrugated sheets, Ridge tiles and the nails +~ the little plastic things the nail goes through?

How do you cut the sheets?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Check out rubber roofing. Basically you buy a big rectangle of rubber sheeting and stick it to the roof. Watertight and should last years. Might be a bit pricey if the shed is knackered but small amounts shouldn’t be too bad.

Here is where I put it on my cabin. Pics about 1/2 way down and really easy to fit : http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wca-shed-thread/page/4

stumpy01

What do you use the shed for?

The previous owner of our house, had re-done the roof on the shed in the garden with clear corrugated plastic. I think he used it as a bit of a potting shed and it works really well for that.
    Obviously no security to speak of, but we only use it for garden tools and stuff.
    It is so much brighter in their than our old shed.
    You can buy matching ridge pieces and it’s held on with fixings that have rubber caps on to keep the water out.

I wouldn’t want it for bike storage or anything, but just for general shed use it works really well.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup.

Yup + wooden battens which are fixed to the shed, the sheet fitting screws go into the battens.

A normal saw, dead easy.

Wickes sell all the kit and currently have 20% off some of the sheeting.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Building-Materials/Roofing/Bitumen-Corrugated-Sheets+Trims/c/1000253

meeeee
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Only a few garden tools and folding chairs in the shed so not bothered about its security really.

That rubber roof stuff looks good too will look into that as well, thanks.

mogrim

Isn’t the corrugated stuff noisy? Compared to felt, anyway?

bigyinn
    Free Member

What like parties in the garden until 2am, as opposed to cups of horlics and in bed by 8:30?

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve got metal box section on my 16×10 shed over the existing cladding roof. Not particularly noisy tbh. Next door has a 3 car carport with the same stuff and the large car garage with it also and again not really much noise.

stoner has the coroline/onduline stuff IIRC

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘replacing a shed roof – corrugated sheets or felt?’ is closed to new replies.