Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Replacing a rear mech hanger – why so bloody difficult?
  • TN
    Free Member

Hi

I joined the world of broken mech hangers for the first time yesterday. Why is it so bleeding difficult to get hold of a replacement?
    (I know the answer really, that there are loads of different patterns, I’m just a bit frustrated!)

So, can anyone recommend a good site to get hold of some (I am going to keep a stock!) because I am not having much success so far… Even presenting the 2 pieces of the old one to the LBS yielded a surly “dunno, we don’t stock those” – helpful. Thanks!

(The bike is a 2007 (I think) specialized hard rock sport, nothing exactly exotic)

Thanks in advance…

T

stilltortoise
    Free Member

yeah, try BETD

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…and a new LBS 😯

DezB
    Free Member

Ebay

TN
    Free Member

Hi

I can’t find the right shape on BETD or ebay, unfortunately.

However, I have checked the website for the shop I mentioned, found the part and it states they have ‘good stock’ of them. Now I am extra pi$$ed off. (And I am sure you can now guess which shop I am referring to, having read numerous threads about them on here at various times…)
    They picked a bad day to be obstructive… 😉

Thanks anyway folks.

T

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, if it’s a Specialized, you need a proper Specialized dealer. They might have them in stock, they might not. My local Spesh dealer certainly has some in stock (Cycle Kingdom in Fleet, Hants, top shop!)
    If not they should be able to order you one (Get 2!) in fairly quickly.
    As has already been said, if they can’t, they’re crap. Go elsewhere. They’ll probably need to know which bike you have, but as a rule one hanger fits several bikes, so it’s easy to find out which you need….

funkynick

CRC have a bucket load of mech hangers, have a look in the Frame Spares section and look on page 4 for the Wheels Manufacturing hangers…

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Phone BETD they are pretty good for knocking up stuff you need and generally have more than they show on the website.

TN
    Free Member

James, everyone, thanks – I have found the part on a few sites now.

TN
    Free Member

Husband is picking 2 up for me from the bike shop that this morning told him they had none!
    Not impressed with the shop but at least it means I can get back on the bike. When my ankle stops hurting…
    Thank you all.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Haaha!

Wonderful!
    Customer/STW beats shop yet again
    😉

zaskar
    Free Member

I don’t find it difficult but I do keep a spare with me on every ride.

I hairline fractured a hanger on Cwimm carn a few yrs back and only realised what could happen if it snapped leaving me stuck-well limited to one gear anyway.

Of all places, Evans cycles mail order can get originals at the same price of BETD copies.

I got my Trek and Gt originals at a great price.

Evans shops still suck eggs but getting better but mail order is great.

tomlevell

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/

will almost certainly have them in.

TN
    Free Member

I now have a (part fitted) new one and a spare for in my seat pack.
    And now I know exactly which part it is, it shouldn’t be such a pain next time…

Olly
    Free Member

you just need to find a dealer for your paticular make of bike surely?

i keep a spare, so can replace it, and worry about finding a replacement spare without being stuck off the bike.

i say that, but thats because my frame came with a spare :p

and its a Giant, so they are easy to get hold of

TN
    Free Member

The place that told us they didn’t stock them this morning IS a Specialized dealer – I bought the bike from them!!
    Lesson learnt, anyway. 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

zaskar – Member
    Of all places, Evans cycles mail order can get originals at the same price of BETD copies.

How is this a good thing? BETD aren’t copies in the literal sense (although some parts have to be the same basic shape by their nature), I’d certainly rate my BETD hanger ABOVE the Spesh originals.
    I’d much rather give my money to BETD than Evans.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a rear mech hanger – why so bloody difficult?’ is closed to new replies.