Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Replacing a MOTORBIKE chain and sprocket (zzr600) advice please
  • Aus
    Free Member

Have a ZZR600 used for commuting mainly. C&S have died and need replacing.

Do C&S sets come with a split link? Is a splint link OK?

Don’t have a chain splitter (and current chain has no split link) so assume a bike shop job, or is it dead easy if a split link available in new set?

Any advice would be welcome – thanks!

weeksy

Yes, usually come with split and rivet link.

split chain with angle grinder.

Your problem comes with fitting new one if incorrect length, you’ll need to cut that too.

I’d doubt your currnet chain has a split link, so you’ll need a grinder to cut it… or a VERY good chain tool anyway, but even then you’d want to grind off the peen’d pin heads to make it easier on chain tool.

My advice is, get a buddy/shop who’s done it before.

Where are you based ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A chain on bike of that power needs to be riveted on not using a split link

weeksy

A chain on bike of that power needs to be riveted on not using a split link

Rubbish… complete and utter rubbish.

Tell that to the TT riders, WSB riders, etc many of whom run split links. I ran one on my 916 race bike for 4 seasons, without any issues.

If done correctly, there’s no reason at all to use a rivet link

hrcmonty
    Free Member

I fully agree with TandemJeremy,

I would only ever put splitlink on a bike upto 250, Maybe 400.
    But 600 + defo a Riveted Link, which needs a special tool to shape the Rivet correctly, If you do it wrong you’ll get a tight link!

Also if your intending doing it yourself, make sure you tension the chain to the chains tight spot.

If you haven’t got the tools or really done it before, i would advice to take it to your Local Bike Shop,

Poor fitted chains can lead to all sorts,

Snapping and smashing the engine case, or worse locking the arse end up.

I had a DID once on my RGV 250, that came off not because off poor fitting. But it flew off backwards straight over the car just behind me and landed on the road about 1ft away from my mate on his bike!

Ended up going back to japan for testing.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

You shouldn’t use a split link on a ZZR600.Have a look if you can get the chain off by removing the swingarm & linkages,if that won’t work you can get the old chain off with a mini grinder.When you fit the new chain you need to peen the rivet head.Before you do any of that though check you can get the gearbox sprocket nut off,I don’t know about ZZR’s but on most sportsbikes I’ve had that sprocket retaining nut is held on tight,very tight!
    HTH

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all. Based in Kent, near Sevenoaks where there’s a dearth of any decent garage. But looks like a LBS job.

Any recos of garages in Sevenoaks/Oxted area?

Cheers

jota180
    Free Member

I always ran links on my race bikes – 900 Kawasakis, 1000 Laverda etc

But I also used to buy the DID endless chains for road bikes, I think they get a lot more prolonged abuse on the road
    Means dropping the swinging arm/suspension but worth it IMO

weeksy

Ask the lads over on http://www.therevcounter.com fair few of them live over that way.

RustySpanner

Don’t forget to change the cush drive rubbers in the rear hub too.
    ZZR600 ones are notoriously rubbish and don’t last very well.

Lovely bikes though, stupidly fast (way, way too fast for me!), comfy and great at distances.
    They really don’t make anything quite like ’em anymore

br
    Free Member

I fully agree with TandemJeremy,

That’s 2 of us now…

Split links are fine on race bikes that are often pulled apart with sprockets changed (for size) a number of times over a w/e, but not a road bike where its expected to stay on for years.

The last bike I had with a split link was an RD350LC nearly 30 years ago, and that spat its chain off in the Scottish Highlands…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have seen a number of bikes spit chainlinks over the years

weeksy

I’ve seen it too… happend to me at Oulton…. funnily enough it was a standard link that broke, not the split link that was still there.

I thoguht i’d blown an engine/clutch as i was redlining the bike but slowing down LOL.

porter_jamie

i have seen probably 5 or 6 bike lose the chain at a race meeting. i am suprised split links havnt been banned tbh. no way would i ride a big bike with one.

i have always used a soft link and a decent riveting tool. get your local mc shop to do it for piece of mind.

i know someone that used one at the manx, and it broke on the jump bit about 1/3 of the way round. luckily he didnt come off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a MOTORBIKE chain and sprocket (zzr600) advice please’ is closed to new replies.