Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Replacing a lost driving license.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Do I really need to replace my lost photo ID license? I’m on the DVLA system and I’m not banned.

I know it is a useful bit of ID, but do I actually need to have one?

ekul
    Free Member

Lost mine a fair few times now but haven’t bothered to replace it this time. Chances of desperately needing it ina short space of time are pretty slim and it doesn’t take that long for them to come when you reorder.

hels
    Free Member

I thought you had to produce it within 7 days if stopped by the Policw whilst driving ?

binners

I can’t remember the last time I saw mine. I think it was in a wallet I had nicked about 5 years ago. I went on a speed awareness course the other week (because I’m a very naughty boy) and they weren’t bothered that I didn’t have it

ekul
    Free Member

2 weeks I think and it generally takes less than that to get a new one. That said it is cutting it fine.

sbob
    Free Member

It is actually an offence not to produce docs when stopped by the police, but a statutory defence to produce them within 7 days.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ever want to hire a car/van/ or test drive a car at certain garages….

Harry_the_Spider

no.

funkhouser
    Free Member

not seen mine in at least 10 years.

nealglover
    Free Member

I went on a speed awareness course the other week (because I’m a very naughty boy) and they weren’t bothered that I didn’t have it

If you had got fixed penalty though, you would have been required to surrender your paper license to the DVLA within 14 days to have your license endorsed.

Failure to do so results in your license (and right to drive) being revoked, and you need to apply for a new license which can take a couple of weeks.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve still got the paper one. It is the photo card that is lost.

nealglover
    Free Member

I think you probably need to send both parts. It’s just that the paper part is the bit that gets the points added onto it.

binners

I don’t care! I’m a wild-eyed loner at the gates of oblivion

bigyinn
    Free Member

Both part of the licence are required to be produced, so if you’ve lost part then you should get it replaced.

bigyinn
    Free Member

binners – Member

I don’t care! I’m a wild-eyed loner at the gates of oblivion
    No “last freedom moped” then?

chewkw
    Free Member

sbob – Member

It is actually an offence not to produce docs when stopped by the police, but a statutory defence to produce them within 7 days.

I was stopped by the police few months ago they then asked for my license which I told them I would never carry one, told them to check their own database with my information. Yes, they got it there. They confirm the information then let me go.

To be frank any police that still ask for paper/card driving license is either trying to be “funny” or simply just trying to cause troubles (I don’t think they are all bad btw).

The information is freely available on their database system so why ask again? I bet they can even have a photo of you for confirmation via their database.

Even renewing road tax is so easy nowadays you don’t even have to show any documents as they are already in the system as I was told recently by the post office person.

🙄

nealglover
    Free Member

Even renewing road tax is so easy nowadays you don’t even have to show any documents as they are already in the system as I was told recently by the post office person.

You’ve never needed to show a driving license to get your car taxed.

So nothing’s changed there.

easygirl

Chewkw
    What if you were giving false details to the fuzz
    They usually ask for id, as a check that you are not using someone else’s details.
    Not being arsey, just being thorough

honeybadgerx

I think you can apply for a new one online? However…

After moving last year I thought I’d just get an updated licence online, save a few trees, postage costs etc. However you go through the process and then they send you a form which you have to sign and post back to them anyway, so it’s actually easier to just use the boxes on the paper part of your licence and post that off (as well as the fact the website is a pain in the rear).

(Edited to remove unintentional typo induced gangster slang)

chewkw
    Free Member

easygirl – Member

Chewkw
    What if you were giving false details to the fuzz
    They usually ask for id, as a check that you are not using someone else’s details.
    Not being arsey, just being thorough

I just gave them the honest information. They have got a description of me anyway, with no hairs etc, so I guess I would fail big time if I were to tell them my name was Johnny Longhairdo. 😆

The police pulled me over because I was stopping late at the roundabout due to a bloody taxi …

I don’t blame the police at all but wish they would stop some of the taxis bombing down the street at break neck speed really.

Drac

The information is freely available on their database system so why ask again? I bet they can even have a photo of you for confirmation via their database.

Because it may not be you, no they don’t have a way to see you photo in cars.

chewkw
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Because it may not be you, no they don’t have a way to see you photo in cars.

Fair enough but I gave them honest information so problem solved.

Anyway, the main police station is only about 15 mins (walking distance) away from where I live so I can always bring my driving license if they wish. 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

You do realise that not everyone does that though right ?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I replaced mine last year after losing it. Very easy and done on line. I didn’t even need to get a photo as they used the photo on the passport database as I’d renewed my passport a couple of years ago, so all done on line. Think it cost me £21.

There is an expiry date on your driving licence and it is definitely an offence to drive on an expired driving licence – the same as driving without a licence.

chewkw
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

You do realise that not everyone does that though right ?

Yes. I need to double check the rules again to make sure because it’s just stupid having to carry both card and the paper that come together. The card can be kept in the wallet but not the paper that comes with the card.

Drac

You don’t need to carry both you can carry either the photo credit card version is very handy to carry, it’s almost like they designed it that way. I’m not even sure you have to carry either.

matthewjb
    Free Member

The card can be kept in the wallet but not the paper that comes with the card.

It does if you fold it neatly.

You have to replace the photo card every 10 years or so anyway as they need an up to date picture. You can do it online but they charge more for that than filling in the form.

chewkw
    Free Member

matthewjb – Member

You have to replace the photo card every 10 years or so anyway as they need an up to date picture. You can do it online but they charge more for that than filling in the form.

Do they let you know about the renewal date or give out reminder?

🙂

CountZero

matthewjb – Member
    The card can be kept in the wallet but not the paper that comes with the card.
    It does if you fold it neatly.

Not in a Jimi Wallet, it doesn’t. My plastic licence is first on the little stack of five cards my wallet can carry, which is handy for ID. I guess nobody goes to the Post Office to pick up parcels, or else always they always carry a utility bill around with them…

Do they let you know about the renewal date or give out reminder?

I got a reminder.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a lost driving license.’ is closed to new replies.