Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Replacing a car wing with one from a scrapper?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Since someone (I actually suspect a roadie) kindly pushed in a front wing last year I’ve been meaning to get it fixed. Got a price yesterday of £400 + VAT to replace and paint, but they said if I could find a used one the right colour it would only be a £50 swap.
    I have subsequently found an original wing with the same colour code for £100 but what’s the likelyhood of a colour match on a 10 year old car?
    Have I got anything to lose? If it doesn’t match I could just get it and the door sprayed .

trail_rat
    Free Member

creased is it ?

on a 10 year old car assuming its not a potential classic.

id just get a panel beater to make the best he can of it if i was really bothered.

more chance of a colour match on the one from the scrappers than your newly painted one though – since it will have had similar UV exposure.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

As per the above really.

10 year old car? Just stick it on, save a few quid and don’t worry if it’s not 100% matched.

A bodyshop would have to blend the paint on the wing into the rest of the car to stop in standing out, so the reality of a new wing would be quite a lot of painting of adjacent door and bonnet..and bumper if their colour coded.

trail_rat
    Free Member

remember when you go to the scrappys go in someone elses car and be looking for one a different colour – but any colour will do as you can have it sprayed…

go in looking for the red one they have – it will cost you dear 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not creased, two dents as if someone had ridden down a long hill and not made the 90 degree turn at the bottom so run into my car putting their hands out at the last minute (scratch on the bumper appeared at the same time).
    Too much to remove apparantly. The breakers have advertised it on eBay so the price is set. Might be a 10 year old car but I’m keeping it for the foreseeable future and want to make it look half decent if possible. Will give it a go anyway.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I did when I hit a deer in the Mothership. Secondhand wing found on ebay, same colour, no problem. Don’t underestimate how much work there is in fitting it though.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113038090087066024057/20100629MothershipRepair#

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I replaced the wing on my MK1 Focus. It cost me £22.50 for a wing from ebay in the same colour. I did a bit of touching up before it went on so that’s paint and lacquer which I already had (£10 from Halfords). Took me a hour to unbolt the old one, bolt on the new one and line it all up. Not a difficult job at all.

For paint match: red and yellow will have faded and be noticeable. Any other colour is much less noticeable. Remember that the scrapper wing will also likely be a good few years old. I couldn’t see a difference on my pearlesent black to start with. I expect after a few months in the sun you wouldn’t either.

Edric64
    Free Member

I wouldnt bother on an old car but I dont give a shit about cars !!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Don’t underestimate how much work there is in fitting it though.

This exactly MM. I was pondering fitting it myself but the offer of having it done properly for about £50 made me see sense!

iamroughrider
    Free Member

if you find one that’s a little more dull, t cut can probably help a fair bit, I expect on a regular colour.

robfury
    Free Member

Colour match will depend on car colour. If its silver, white or any light metallic it’s not likely to match at all. If its black or dark colour maybe lucky

Jason
    Free Member

I have just replaced a front wing on my wife’s 10 year old Mk4 Golf. A bought a new wing pre painted from ebay. It was a really good match to the original colour, the car was metallic black which generally doesn’t fade too much. I did try to find a 2nd hand one, but couldn’t find one at short notice and had arranged to PXed the car today. Pretty easy to fit, just a few torx screws and some 10mm bolts, about 2 hours in total.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’m sure you’ve checked but make sure it’s a bolt on wing – not all are.

Northwind

Have you tried getting a quote from a dents repair place? I used to be really skeptical til they gave my dad’s focus a going over, you can just tell where the dents and scrapes use to be if you know where to look but I didn’t believe for a second it’d be that good. There was a nasty crease in a door skin, all but gone.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a car wing with one from a scrapper?’ is closed to new replies.